The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 09:59 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hardy Zenith wins Yellowstone Angler shootout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloke View Post
Can I ask how you guys know these rods are made in Korea?
and to be more precise which factory in Korea?
Mick
Can I ask where Bloke rods and blanks are made? I can't find any info on that on their website.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:06 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Can I ask where Bloke rods and blanks are made? I can't find any info on that on their website.
Mosca, just said they were made in S Korea.

Hardy claims to have their own factory in S Korea for rod production. I know Howard Crofton the rod designer just got back to the UK from there. All of their rods except the Angel Series and the Bamboo rods (made in UK) are made in S Korea. The higher end Greys product is made S Korea too, but the lower end Greys stuff is sourced from China.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:24 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

And the Hardy reels coming out of Korea have tighter tolerances than the English made reels did. It's a global economy, get used to it. I'm having to. Not much I buy or you buy now days is made in the U.S. anymore. And the overseas stuff gets better all the time. It has to.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:48 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
Mosca, just said they were made in S Korea.

Hardy claims to have their own factory in S Korea for rod production. I know Howard Crofton the rod designer just got back to the UK from there. All of their rods except the Angel Series and the Bamboo rods (made in UK) are made in S Korea. The higher end Greys product is made S Korea too, but the lower end Greys stuff is sourced from China.
burk, I asked about Bloke rods.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:20 AM

bloke is on a distinguished road

Hi
It depends...some are made by Harrisons in the UK and some are made in Japan and some are made in the USA.....I tend to favour blanks rolled with Toray carbon fibre.
Mick
Old 04-13-2011, 03:07 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi
It depends...some are made by Harrisons in the UK and some are made in Japan and some are made in the USA.....I tend to favour blanks rolled with Toray carbon fibre.
Mick
FIRST a warm welcome to 'Bloke;' a stand up Guy!

But some of these are 'built up' in the US? Under a different brand/badging name?

Edit: "Toray carbon fibre." A new name to me, who/where are these folks?

fae
Old 04-13-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Hi
Mick
Some might disagree, but you just might be missing a selling point on your rods. There are many out there who prefer to buy locally sourced goods. Surely you remember the outcry when Hardy went out for their production.
Like it or not, there are still very many people who prefer to buy products made by their neighbors.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:36 AM

bloke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Some might disagree, but you just might be missing a selling point on your rods. There are many out there who prefer to buy locally sourced goods. Surely you remember the outcry when Hardy went out for their production.
Like it or not, there are still very many people who prefer to buy products made by their neighbors.
I buy the best carbon fibre I can find....frankly I dont care whether its made in the USA, Korea or Timbucktoo!
One of the reasons I have been in discussion with 3M for the last year......
We do not have a carbon fibre fabric manufacturer in the UK
So I cant buy ....or more importantly specify carbon fibre fabric manufactured in the UK.
Yes Fred I do make rods for companies in the USA
Colton is one of them.
M