The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default New Yellowstone Angler 5wt Shootout

The Yellowstone Angler has just done a new exhaustive comparison of 18 9' 5wts on the market, many of which are quite new.

FlyRodReview.Best5weightflyrod.HardyZenith.SageZ-axis.WinstonB3x.WinstonBIIIx.LoomisNRX.SageVXP.StC roixLegendEliteTempleforkBVK

Maybe its because I'm cheap, but the new TFO BVK and Winston Passport look like the brightest shining values in the group.

They awarded the Hardy Zenith with the Blue Ribbon.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:27 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: New Yellowstone Angler 5wt Shootout

thanks cliff,
great review! some real surprises in there.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-04-2011, 07:17 PM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

i love the reviews from these guys. thank you for posting this.
Hopefully they'll do another 8wt shootout too
Old 01-04-2011, 07:33 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I fished out of George's shop a couple of years ago. They take their shoot-outs very seriously!

I was impressed by the data that they had collected for the previous shoot-out, where the Sage Z-Axis; then a new rod, had just edged the Loomis. George is a consultant for Loomis, so I was surprised to see the Z-Axis on top in that shoot-out; even more surprised to see the Hardy on top - and by a wide margin - in this shoot-out.

My local shop had tested the Hardy earlier this season and all I heard about it was that it was practically indestructible when you put tension on the blank; but I hadn't heard anything about the castability of the rod.

I'm definitely going to be casting the Hardy at the upcoming Fly Fishing Symposium in Somerset, NJ. Coming up at the end of January.

On the contrary, I've heard some really crumby repots on the new Winston BIIIx; particularly from those that fish the BIIx a lot.

Pocono
Old 01-04-2011, 07:52 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Burk started a thread a couple days ago about the Hardy winning the shootout. It was interesting to see how much they liked the Winston Passport, but Anderson states that rod is made overseas, while at the same time writing that the St. Croix Imperial is made in the USA. Wrong. It was a bit surprising to see George trash the BIIX after writing that it was his shop's best selling rod, so I guess he calls them like he sees them.

I mentioned in the other thread that Anderson is still testing 5wt's with a 5.5wt line. I'm reading Dave Hughes' book Trout from a Small Stream, and he likes to overline his rods by a full weight, even when all of his fishing friends (and the custom builders in a couple of cases) all fished Hughes' rods with the designated line. Hughes states in his Essential Trout Flies book that Anderson is one of the best nymph fishermen in this country, so maybe there are people that simply prefer heavier lines. I should have mentioned that Hughes expresses a strong preference for fast/stiff rods on small streams, so there's another thing he and Anderson share.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:20 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

All that really matters is how the rods perform. The price means you may get a good bang for the buck, but it should not mean a particular rod is rated better than another. Potential buyers can determine that value versus the actual performance. And, the actual performance should be measured by the test throws of potential buyers.

Where are the other custom blanks, like Dan Craft, TL Johnson, Batson, etc.

ALSO_LOOK AT THE RODS THEY SELL

Last edited by hardhat; 01-04-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:22 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to mention that the other reviewers had their own opinions, and should be read as well....if you're bored and really interested.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:03 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I'm not that big a fan of George Anderson's Shootout as some of you are. Testing the rods in Montana in December, and on the lawn or a gym with no wind proves what?
If you're going to evaluate fly rod, do it in the summer, on the river to do what they were designed to do- catch fish. Don't limit the fly lines to one specific line by just one manufacturer, use all the major line companies and the different series they make. Use DT, WF and even sink tip lines. That T&T that came in last place with another brand of line on it might have gone all the way to #1
All his ratings are are his and a few others opinions.
And FWIW, that's my opinion.
And if this don't beat all-
"If you've enjoyed our 5 weight shootout and are in the market for a new rod,
please support our efforts by purchasing a rod from us!"

Why not.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:33 AM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

Agreed MOJO - Again the rods should be rated as to how they performed for him and his group. So this test is their opinion only. Price and non performace points should not be factored in. That is up to the potential buyer to evaluate. On stream performance may change this whole line up.
This test should be used as a starting point for gathering information only. It is not and should not be used as a absolute reference or standard.
It is in the potential rod buyers interest to test out various rods and make their own decision.

Last edited by hardhat; 01-05-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:47 AM

It just occured to my that Anderson does these shootouts now because: 1) the new rods like the Hardy Zenith just came out; 2) people are getting ready for their new season purchases; 3) Anderson is bored during the winter months.

In Anderson's defense, he states that he and his gang have fished for years, around the world, and with many different rods. While Anderson certainly has a preference for a particular type of rod, I would guess that he can form a valid opinion by handling them in a gym/lawn. Many (most?) anglers buy rods based on a few minutes of casting in the parking lot, so Anderson's shootout goes way beyond that.