The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Quarrow?

I ordered a 7wt via eBay as a backup rod due to another deal taking a while. It arrived last night. I cast it briefly and was quite impressed. Its quite powerful, but still casts in closely quite well. I'll let y'all know how it fishes after next wknd.

Its a ML1 model, 4pc with a good hard tube and (cheap) sock. The epoxy on the thread wraps left a bit to be desired, but the cork appears shockingly good and the reel seat and fighting butt should work excellently. I don't think I've got any warranty coverage, but at $50, who can gripe.

Yeah, $50. There's more out there on eBay too.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Quarrow?

Cliff,

I have been telling you about them since I joined here. I bought a Sage VT2 9' 7wt. for this season so I can see if it is better than my Quarrow Big Horn Drake 9' 7wt.
The rod I have cost me $61 delivered (I was the only bid) and I swear to 'God' it is outstanding! I bought a second one for backup in case I get hold of something that breaks my original rod. I have caught hundreds of large fish with the Quarrow.
Attachment 2118That's my Quarrow

The small silver weighed 15lbs. the big guy maxed out my scale at twenty two pounds (the scale only goes to 22lbs.) it was just shy of thirty five inches long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quarrow & 23lb silver0001.jpg (96.7 KB, 139 views)

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-18-2009, 03:09 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I have seen those on Ebay and thought about buying one, but for the money and haveing never heard of them, I wasnt sure, maybe I'll try one.
Brandon
Old 04-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Bear,

I have been posting about them since I joined. I just brought one of the threads back to the board, check it out it'll tell you what I think of them.

Ard

Old 04-18-2009, 05:27 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I gotta second Ard on this. I bought a Drake Big Horn 9' 5wt as a backup to my older model Imperial. I believe that the Imperial is not now the backup.

I LOVED casting the Quarrow. It felt really close, if not better, than my Avid.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Hardy, your review was probably what made me go ahead and give it a try. I'm hoping it will be as impressive when attached to fins as it was casting.

I also found it interesting that they've moved from OK to Grand Prairie, TX. Grand Prairie borders the town I grew up in and their stadium was my favorite of all the football stadiums I played in. (well maybe Texas Stadium was actually tops) There was no track so the fans were loud and close. It was dug into the ground and had that wonderful (old school) hard turf that gave me great grip to shove the 300#ers around.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Administrator

I'm glad that I had some influence in your decision Cliff. I liked the rod so much that I added it to my Reviewstream dot com reviews. (I post a few reviews now & then)

I always try to help people here find the best tool or info for the job at a good value. I'm looking forward to my cross testing the Sage VT2 to the Quarrow this season.

Ard

Old 04-18-2009, 06:56 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Bear,

I have been posting about them since I joined. I just brought one of the threads back to the board, check it out it'll tell you what I think of them.

Ard
Cool, I'll do that. Thanks
Old 04-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Update: I fished the Quarrow 7wt pretty extensively this past weekend at the coast and was quite pleased. The wind was consistently stout enough to where no rod would cast "with pleasure", but it got the job done in what many would call 8wt+ conditions.

I put a stout bend into it when fighting some fish, and it fought them with gusto. The cork remained shockingly lovely throughout the weekend and I saw no evidence of corrosion, even after I wasn't super prompt with my freshwater rinsing. No ferrule or reel seat issues either.

A Rio Saltwater 7wt Line suits it nicely, and loaded onto a Sage 1680 reel, it balances perfectly. I'll say this is the cheapest possible outfit for Redfish I can endorse.

I'll give another update after I've fished it in conditions where I can cast without grunting.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Cliff,

Believe me, you're gonna love the rod. I have landed some large salmon in heavy water with my 7wt. and it is well up to the task. As mentioned I'm looking forward to fishing the Sage VT2 #7 to compare the two rod's performance.