The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 06:38 PM

Orangutan is on a distinguished road
Default RS4 or Red fly 2? 6 or 7wt?

Hey everyone, just joined the forum and have already made my first mistake with the user name

I'm hoping for some help deciding between redington's RS4 and Red Fly 2 rods. Also deciding which weight to go with.

I've read that both models are fast but realise the red fly wont be quite as high in the modulus of the graphite (I'm youngish so not too concerned about any difference in weight of the rods)

I plan on using the rod for a range of situations, and till this point have been using a flimsy old fibregless (around a 6 wt) with in my opinion a very slow action (and vibrates like crazy too).

I plan on using the rod lake fishing for browns, and in the salt for flathead and bream (I'm in Aust.) I also will target the bass in streams and dams.
Every now and then I might fish off the rocks in the salt for any kahwai (Aust. salmon)/bonito/tailor that might swing by.

Most of the flies I'll use will be small to medium in size (16-2 range I guess - nothing with /0 after it)

-I'd like to be able to cast into the wind (Will the 6wt be up to it)
-I want to feel the fish fight (will the 7wt dampen any of my fun? )
-Is there a difference between the two models in how they'll stand up to the salt (looks like they have the same guides on them)

Big post I know but any advice would be greatly welcomed.
Cheers.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:00 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: RS4 or Red fly 2? 6 or 7wt?

HUMM, if you stick with smaller flies and get a good line a 6wt would handle alot of things, ( i know nothing of salt). A 7wt might dampin your fun on small fish, but for bass and big browns and I would think the salt, I would go with a 7wt, I dont know about casting a size 14-16 fly with it, probaly wont land very soft lol. Thats kind of a wide range of fishing for just one rod. Maybe go with the 6wt for now, keep your flies small, then later add a 8wt for bigger flies and fish.
Bear
Old 04-18-2009, 08:36 PM

Thanks. Most of the fish I catch aren't going to be whoppers unfortunately. Maybe a pound or two in your language. Exception is any of the fish off the rocks. They might be up to 6-8lb? The bass are usually about 10-12 inches. Might occasionally catch a trout about a foot and a half long at the outstretch. Most will be about a foot I'd say.

The rods I've been tossing up between are the RS4 and Red Fly 2, but also the Composite Developments 'tactical', and TFO 'professional'.

Seems the last two are medium fast action and more for the beginner. I'm no pro but have been able to make the rubbish rod I have perform OK and want something that will serve me in the future too. I started this fly caper when I was 14, I think that helps in picking up the knack. Had a bit of a break from it though.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:58 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

The Comp. Develpoment I have never heard of, the TFO I have never even cast but hear they are good rods. I have a Redington crosswater in a 5wt and a Redington Predator in an 8wt I really like both rods, for my money I would buy a Redington, it sounds like you probaly could handle a fast action rod. From the size of flies and fish you will be cathing a 6wt should be just fine. I would invest in a good line like a Rio Grand or a another good line with a WF taper, that will help with the wind and bigger flies.
Best of luck
Bear
Old 04-18-2009, 10:02 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Orangtan,

You might want to consider Redington's CPX rods.

I have one of their CPS models in a 9'0" 8 wt. and it's become my "go-to" rod for small striped bass and largemouths (the CPX model replaced the CPS in 2009). It was also very effective on Bonefish in the Mexican Yucatan last Spring. It is faster then either of the two Rediington models that you mention and, if it will handle wind like the CPS; and I think it probaby will; likely even better, then you shouldn't have any problems with that aspect of your casting. I'd consider a 9'0" 7 wt. as a reasonable compromise for the type of fishing that you say you'll be doing; it's between the 6 wt. and 8 wt. that Bear mentioned.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:25 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a Redington RS3 9' 6wt, and it would toss line into wind just dandy. I
never tried to cast anything bigger than a #6 Wooly Bugger, and a #8 Muddler. Just use an appropriate sized leader, and a 6wt will perform very
well in wind. The RS4 is supposed to be a bit stiffer than the RS3, so you
can use one of the 1/2wt heavier lines: SA's GPX or Rio Grand. I also had a
9' 7wt RS3, and it wasn't nearly the rod that the 6wt was. It was heavier,
and didn't do much more than the RS3 6wt. The 6wt was a much more graceful rod.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:37 PM

Hmmm, starting to narrow it down. I guess you can't have everything

I have thought about the CPS as a close out due to my budget but there aren't many out there in 6 and 7s since theyre so popular.

Bear, since you say youre happy with your crosswater I'm guessing the red fly 2 would be just fine.

Cost wise by the time they hit my hands:

Redfly2 9062: $174au
Redfly2 9674: $243au 4.5oz (same for 9064) - no 2pc 7wt
RS4 9062: $270au
RS4 9072: $299au 3.95oz
RS4 9074: $340au

So comparing the 6wt 2pc theres $100 from redfly2 to the RS4. A lot to have to justify.

Am I going to notice much of difference between the two models? (Easier to break a higher modulus anyway ) No too much in the weight either. Guessing the RS4 is a better rod for a reason, but apart from materials they're made of and weight, whats the difference?
Old 04-18-2009, 10:46 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangtan View Post

Am I going to notice much of difference between the two models?
I don't know if you'd feel a difference, but I would . The RS4 is going
to feel lighter in your hand, the tip will recover more quickly (less bouncing),
and casting will probably be easier for you in a very short time. I don't
know about high modulus breaking easily, but Redington has an unconditional
breakage warranty. I've fished a heavy fiberglass fly rod in the late 70's/early
80's, moved onto better graphite rods (incrementally), and now have rods
in the $600-$700 range. More expensive rods generally perform better, and
are more enjoyable to cast. Some of the more expensive rods are specialty
casting tools, but that's another story. Buy the best you can afford, and
you won't have to get another rod for a while.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:38 PM

Hmmm exercising my mind now (had to use that icon. They have some strange ones huh)

One last question, in terms of longevity of the rod, would using a 7wt line constantly in a 6wt rod change the action of the rod (making it slower I mean) or shorten it's life at all?

I'm thinking more and more that the 2pc RS4 6wt is the way to go, then pair it up with a reel with spare reel loaded with the two line weights. Might do the trick?

I have some 'zonkers' I like to use (Strip of rabbit skin and fur as a streamer with flashy tube body) and large bead head wooly buggers. #6 I think they all are. Probably wont have to throw anything much bigger than that.

Whats the largest size clouser (thin and wispy), and the largest fly like a dahlberg diver (bulky deer hair poppery thing) any of you would try casting with a 6wt?

Cheers again
Old 04-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Orangtan

Call The Forum Fly Shop at 937-434-8472 and talk to Todd. They sell a bunch of Redington rods and can answer all of your questions. There is a link at the bottom of the Forum Portal page to The Forum Fly Shop.

Frank