The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Five Weight All Around Confessions!

I might just be speaking out of my streamer inexperience, but if I were going to fish streamers that required more than a single handed 6wt I think I'd prefer to go to a switch rod which I plan to do also this year anyway.

Duh! I didn't even think about the fact that streamers were thrown with bamboo and glass long before graphite came along so I guess I can safely buy that Redington CT 5wt which I really want since I can get it shipped for $110 and then use my 6wt if I want to throw a little bigger streamers then the 5wt can handle. Then when I get/build my switch rod use it for the big stuff. Or am I just crazy.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:22 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

As with most rod questions, this seems to come down to a matter of style and preference. I prefer a fast action 6 weight rod for streamers because I generally chuck larger, heavier streamers on bigger water (40-60 foot casts) looking for larger fish. I like faster action in the wind as well.
I do not fish streamers often, however. I prefer more moderate action rods for almost every other application.

Gary
Old 01-06-2011, 07:50 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Just put a 6wt line on there shorter leader maybe 8' or so and try to back cast as little as possible. Water load the rod and fire out a big ole rabbit strip leech, you'd be suprised!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:42 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
Duh! I didn't even think about the fact that streamers were thrown with bamboo and glass long before graphite came along so I guess I can safely buy that Redington CT 5wt which I really want since I can get it shipped for $110 and then use my 6wt if I want to throw a little bigger streamers then the 5wt can handle. Then when I get/build my switch rod use it for the big stuff. Or am I just crazy.
Tom,
There is a reason why we fly fishermen have fly rods like some have golf clubs. No one rod can do it all. Are you just crazy? Nope. You are just putting two and two together.

I don't know if you ever plan on doing a drift with Dave Sloan out of American Fly on the Yuba. If you do one of his drifts, he will suggest that you have two rods. You could have a six weight rigged as a streamer or indicator rod and a five weight rigged as a dry rod. I highly recommend the July into August drift. It's three weeks of gonzo hoppers!

One of the realities is that a light line rod can handle throwing streamers as long as you stay within the parameters of the rod. Things will get complicated once the flies get heavier (especially if they get waterlogged), more wind resistant, and when the winds start picking up. Last summer when I fished my girlfriend's 7'6" 3 weight CT, I was casting size 12 Beadhead Simi Seal Leeches and size 10 Beadhead Woolly Buggers.

MP
Old 01-06-2011, 10:37 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
I might just be speaking out of my streamer inexperience, but if I were going to fish streamers that required more than a single handed 6wt I think I'd prefer to go to a switch rod which I plan to do also this year anyway.

I use switch rods for streamers quite a bit when I'm swinging streamers. But when I'm tossing heads and stripping fast on retrieve a two hander gets in the way. A single hander is much more efficient and easier to handle when you're casting and working a streamer or even a top water (mousin) then a two hander.

I must admit after using a two hander in AK, I don't understand why the 11 1/2 seven weight isn't the go too rod in the great white north for Silvers and Rainbows.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
I use switch rods for streamers quite a bit when I'm swinging streamers. But when I'm tossing heads and stripping fast on retrieve a two hander gets in the way. A single hander is much more efficient and easier to handle when you're casting and working a streamer or even a top water (mousin) then a two hander.

I must admit after using a two hander in AK, I don't understand why the 11 1/2 seven weight isn't the go too rod in the great white north for Silvers and Rainbows.
I had not thought of that and that makes complete sense. So perhaps I should get the Switch for steelhead, surf fishing, etc. By the Way any familliar with the St. Croix Imperial Switch rod other then the fact its build in Mexico.

I just found a TFO TICR 9' 5wt at a very good price. Would this be a good choice for the application I've been discusing considering how much I like Moderate-Fast and mostly dislike Fast rods, I know that it considered Fast, but its not as fast as a TICRX. What you all think. Or do you think The TFO Pro would be a better fit for me and this application as single hander. I really like TFO's too.

One more well sort of to through in the mix I just discovered the TFO Pro comes in a 9' 6" 5wt perhaps that rod would make a decent everything rod including if not especially for High Sticking and Czech Nymphing. I can't find any reviews on that specific rod and of coarse I could be getting overly optimistic at this point.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 01-07-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:28 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I fish the truckee all the time, I have friends that fish the truckee and while I own a switch rod, I prefer my standard old medium fast 5 weight on the truckee and most of them do as well.

I have a 7 wt switch rod I bought for Pyramid lake where larger fish are the norm and longer casts are required, and have never considered using it on the Truckee - maybe that is just me though.

I have never felt undergunned on the truckee with my 5 wt (medium or medium fast) fly rods. I do fish streamers, including crawdads and some bunny tails, but nothing really huge mostly size 8 or 10.

since you are considering a redingtion rod, I have an older redington 3wt I use for small streams and I love it.

I also fish only medium to medium fast rods and have never had an issue on the truckee with fishing streamers, nymphs, dries, etc. I typically water load and flip upstream with streamers, though I can cast a #8 or #10 beadhead without issue if I need to, and actually have on Davis Lake, from a tube with my 5 weights.

I had a fast speed rod last year, I didn't really like it, probably and old dog and new tricks thing, but it was way to stiff and I never really got the hang of it. I broke it one day casting a weighted bugger. Cabelas replaced the rod, and when they did I selected a medium fast rod and have no regrets. I am not saying the weighted streamer was what broke the rod, it was probably a defect, but, I am saying I do not prefer fast rods, and that I fish the truckee river routinely with a medium or medium fast rod.

As for fish size, the largest I have caught on the truckee is around 6 pounds, there are bigger fish in there, smaller ones too, but I do not feel undergunned with the 5 wt, and the last couple big fish (5 and 6 lbs) were released unharmed.

Just my two cents on 5 wts on the truckee.

If I were fishing big steelhead runs, or alaska salmon, I think I would go bigger, but for now, i am happy with what i have.

d
Old 01-07-2011, 09:25 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a fast 5wt that I bought in 2004, and tried to cast #10 Clousers with it. In close, it was fine. Casting beyond 30 feet was tough, but then I learned the oval cast and I was good for another 10-15 feet. I bought a $75 Cortland GRX 6wt, and that made life so much easier. I now own an even faster 5wt that will cast those same Clousers with ease, but it's much more pricey than the Cortland. I always use floating line BTW.

I'd say if you want a budget rod, go 6wt.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:53 AM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

I would also consider going with a 6wt. With model changes with several rod companies I would look at some closeouts. The Sage VT2 is a nice moderate fast rod. If you wanted to go faster, the Winston Vapor can be bought at a great price also.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I have found a Quarrow Big Horn 5wt that I am going to purchase this is the same rod Ard (Hardyreels) has talked about so much, but his is a 7wt. I may purchase a 7wt also. I figure such a strong endorsement from someone of Ard's experience and expertise makes it worth a try especially since he compares it to rods that cost 10x as much and it will cost $78.89 shipped to my door. At that price I can still afford to buy the Redington CT 5wt I like so much as well.