The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Five Weight All Around Confessions!

I tried to make a catchy title.

I have a confession though I started fly fishing 25 years ago I've never fished streamers not even for steelhead. Okay I'm out of the closet now!

Well I'm planning on building or buying a 9' 5 wieght. Heres the thing I really like moderate action rods, but I want it to be a rod that could do everything reasonably well and that includes fishing streamers, wind, and fishing for larger trout and "Half Pounders." To do that do I really need a Moderate-Fast, Fast action or will a moderate action 5wt like the Reddington CT which is moderate, but less moderate than a TFO Finnese do fine.

Part of the reason I'm asking this is I'm feeling non-commital, because I know where I can purchase a Reddington CT 9' 5wt for $110 including shipping and I really like that rod, but I'm concerned that it will not permit me to throw streamers well and I'm committed this year to learn to fish streamers.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:59 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Five Weight All Around Confessions!

I seem to mention this a lot on this forum, but you might check ebay for new/used Orvis Trident TL's in either mid or tip flex. I've used the 9' 5wt tip flex for years; it throws everything. I've cast everything from little wee tiny baetis nymphs on the Firehole to No.2 streamers for big Batten Kill browns with that rod. I'll cry if I ever break it.
Gary
Old 01-06-2011, 12:04 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I have a Drake Big Horn setup as a streamer rod. It's what I would call a medium fast action.

They're kinda hard to find but I know a couple of people on here use and swear by them (me being one).
Old 01-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Tom,

I guess I have to ask how big are the rivers or creeks you are going to be fishing? I have fished streamers for a long time using #5 rods. I have three of them, a 9', a 7'9" and a 6'3". All work perfectly for the size streams I use them to fish in. Shortly after taking up residence here I realized that my #5's were too light for some fish while my #9 was a wee too heavy. I landed in the middle with a 9' 7 weight medium fast rod (yes Robert, a Drake Big Horn) and it proved to be just right.

If you are going to fish large flies on fairly heavy leaders at an average distance of 40' I would use my #7 over the 5. If the water is small and the casts short I would end up with one of the short 5's in my hand. My 1994 9' 5 weight PM10 will probably be used as a dry fly rod for the rest of our time together.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Tom,

I guess I have to ask how big are the rivers or creeks you are going to be fishing? I have fished streamers for a long time using #5 rods. I have three of them, a 9', a 7'9" and a 6'3". All work perfectly for the size streams I use them to fish in. Shortly after taking up residence here I realized that my #5's were too light for some fish while my #9 was a wee too heavy. I landed in the middle with a 9' 7 weight medium fast rod (yes Robert, a Drake Big Horn) and it proved to be just right.

If you are going to fish large flies on fairly heavy leaders at an average distance of 40' I would use my #7 over the 5. If the water is small and the casts short I would end up with one of the short 5's in my hand. My 1994 9' 5 weight PM10 will probably be used as a dry fly rod for the rest of our time together.

Ard
Its not the rod weight I'm concerned with as I know that a 5wt or 6wt is perfect for where I would streamer fish. Its the fact that I really like moderate action and moderate fast action rods, but have heard and read everywhere including this forum to fish streamers effectively you need a Fast Action rod.

I just dislike fast action rods as they feel like broom sticks to me and it has nothing to do with my experience or ability to cast I actually cast them just fine. I simply prefer moderate and moderate fast rods, but If to properly fish streamers I really NEED a fast action I'll buy or build one.

I just want to fish streamers to catch some of the Big Browns in the Truckee River and a few other places.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 01-06-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

+1...for the Quarrow Big Horn....got mine for $50...and bought some for friends...but like axle27 said...hard to find now
Old 01-06-2011, 03:51 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I don't think you really NEED a fast action rod to fish streamers...especially in light of the fact that all these wicked quick rods (which I do enjoy, btw, especially Loomis') are fairly new on the scene. Somehow, lo these many years, people have been fishing streamers without them. Can you spell b-a-m-b-o-o? f-i-b-e-r-g-l-a-s-s? I'm pretty sure you can cast streamers effectively and fairly effortlessly without a rocket launcher in your hand.

Side note - Ard, I always loved pm-10s. Broke a SLEW of them, but I sure liked them. I get tempted by them on ebay all the time.

Yours with a slow stick,
Gary
Old 01-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Tom: I'm with you in preferring a medium fast over a fast action rod. I just don't like the broom handle feel of some fast action rods. If you go back and re-read what Ard is saying, you will see that he also likes the medium fast rod. In the past couple of years I have been throwing larger streamers like the double bunny and the newer articulated streamers. You will find that a 5 wt is just going to be under gunned for the larger streamers. I have a 5, 6 and 7 wt and for the larger stuff I always go with the 6 or 7 and if it is windy I use the 7.

Davo is a guide out of Jackson Hole, he doesn't post here often but he is a died in the wool streamer fisherman. In the past he used a 6wt rod and this past year has moved to a 7 wt. I'm guessing it is primarily for the wind, but not sure.

Larry

Old 01-06-2011, 05:22 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
I don't think you really NEED a fast action rod to fish streamers...especially in light of the fact that all these wicked quick rods (which I do enjoy, btw, especially Loomis') are fairly new on the scene. Somehow, lo these many years, people have been fishing streamers without them. Can you spell b-a-m-b-o-o? f-i-b-e-r-g-l-a-s-s? I'm pretty sure you can cast streamers effectively and fairly effortlessly without a rocket launcher in your hand.

Side note - Ard, I always loved pm-10s. Broke a SLEW of them, but I sure liked them. I get tempted by them on ebay all the time.

Yours with a slow stick,
Gary
I suspect it depends on what you mean by streamer fishing. If streamer fishing is throwing a small Clouser or bead head Wooly Bugger in shallow smaller streams you probably right. But if you're throwing 200-300 grain heads with Zonker strips the size of large rodent chasing big trout in big water, give me the fast powerful stick every day. The only moderate (by todays standards) rods that I've seen that will do that duty are the old Winston XTR's and they were very heavy. Yes, the XTR 6 weight moderate action will do anything most eight weights will do, but it also weighs as much as most eight weights. The one good thing about them is they go for pretty cheap on Ebay.

OTOH, I was throwing a 200 grain head and large streamers on both the Watuga and the PM recently and a new Hardy Proaxis six weight handled the job far more effortlessly then that Winston at half the weight. And it is a very fast rod, although it feels by no means like a broomstick.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:33 PM

From Burk48237: "I suspect it depends on what you mean by streamer fishing. If streamer fishing is throwing a small Clouser or bead head Wooly Bugger in shallow smaller streams you probably right. But if you're throwing 200-300 grain heads with Zonker strips the size of large rodent chasing big trout in big water, give me the fast powerful stick every day. The only moderate (by todays standards) rods that I've seen that will do that duty are the old Winston XTR's and they were very heavy. Yes, the XTR 6 weight moderate action will do anything most eight weights will do, but it also weighs as much as most eight weights."

I suspect you're right. I have no experience with grain heads (oh, wait, maybe I do if one thinks of Grain Heads. that's a joke, son, a joke) and rodent sized flies (and don't want to have any experience with 'em, either), but in those instances a rocket launcher is probably pretty important equipment.

BTW, I fish Loomis NativeRun GLX's from 7 to 9wt for atlantics, bones and pike.