The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 07:18 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: LaCrosse Custom Rods 7' 2-wt review

Waghostdncr, Your post prompted my own investigation.

Late last fall I decided the time was right to once again go lighter. When I first stated fly fishing, my original substantial investment was a 7wt, I later picked up a 5wt, drifted towards a 6wt, and eventually continued the downward spiral towards a 3wt. Nearly every time I went down in weight, I really enjoyed the transition towards a lighter weight rod.

The nearest stream to my house has a lot of small fish, and a lighter weight rod makes these quick after work trips all that more enjoyable. I do love my three weight, but had become interested in either a 1, or a 2.

I found this 2wt La Crosse on e-bay, for a price I was willing to take a chance on. "The old adage you get what you pay for is true in this case". Sadly, The rod arrived with an upside down tip guide. At first I was a little disappointed, and considered contacting the manufacturer. I later realized this was a re-pair that would only take me about 5 minutes to complete, and decided to avoid the hassle of dealing with the manufacture as writing the e-mail, would have taken longer than the actual repair.

I'm happy with the price paid, It looks nicer than it should, is super light, and casts well in the back yard. I'm looking forward to putting some tiny creek fish on it this spring.

Here are the pics: Mounted on the rod, is one of those super cheap Chinese reels which I consider an amazing deal. With the type of fishing I plan to do with this rod, I do not think a quality drag will be much of a factor.

Click the image to open in full size.

The upside down tip, prevents me from recommending it to others, but at the same time it could have been an isolated indecent. Other than that (now that it's fixed), I think its going to make me a nice addition to my inventory.

I understand this a older post, and if you happen to see it, I wonder what your long term assessment is of this rod?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:22 PM

yetavon is on a distinguished road

WOW...forgot about this.....I showed a guy at work the Ebay site after he was talking about a blueline rod.....and one day he say thanks and hands me the rod....Mine was ordered a few days later, 5' 3wt. Its been over a year and love it....from chasing little specks to bream from the yak.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:49 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

my wife has the 7' 2 wt axis II and really likes it.
she uses it primarily for chasing bluegill.
it's a nice rod, decent cork, good wraps and hardware.
i've fished a few times and think that overall, its a good little rod.

casey

ARFE