The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 03:41 PM

Jake. is on a distinguished road
Default G Loomis Xperience

Has any one used one of these rods and have an opinion on them? I am considering buying the 8' 3 wt model for trout in the mountains and panfish in the ponds and lakes around here. I am going to pair it with a Galvan Rush reel. Would it be a good choice for a beginner?

Thanks,
Jake
Old 04-22-2009, 09:01 PM

BigOleBrown is on a distinguished road
Default Re: G Loomis Xperience

G Loomis are good rods Jake. I think they're a bit overpriced, but if you're getting a good deal on one, I say go for it.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:11 AM

flyrayfishing is on a distinguished road

I dont use a G-Loomis but a good freind I work with has 3 of them.....As far as I know they have treated him very well................I use ORVIS and I swear by them but thats me....I know one thing if it feels good in your hands thats all that counts.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:13 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I have a GLoomis 9'0" 6 wt. Max GLX that I like a lot; particularly for sink tip lines and streamer fishing (buggers, muddlers, etc.) and for nymphing with split shot. It's also great when fishing into a strong wind, like you sometimes get in the "wind funnels" that can exist when you're fishing in a gorge or canyon. It's a very stiff rod, but very well made and I can tell that I'll get a lot of use out of it.

The Xperience line is new and is made so that the rods vary in stiffness with the line weight; much like Sage's VT-2 rod line. The lighter rods in the Xperience line are medium-fast action and the heavier rods are fast action. This, I think is a good way to go, as I have never enjoyed fishing a lighter weight rod (4 wt. and below) with a fast action; but that's me.

With Steve Rajeff (world casting record holder for 5 wt. rods and not far from the top in the international distance casting category) as the chief rod designer at GLoomis, you're pretty safe in assuming that you'll get a good rod from that company. The Xperience looks like a nice rod to me.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:49 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: G Loomis Xperience

Jake
You would be buying a rod made in the USA from a well established maker &
be able to enjoy it for a long time or, until it "wears out". Take a look at the Loomis website for their warranty, makes a lot of sense to me.
Would suggest you cast one of the 3 weights before you buy, they are 3 piece & some folks don't seem to like the feel of 3pc compared to the 2 & 4pc rods.
You are on the right track with Loomis/Galvan, money well spent for good equipment that will serve you well for a long time.
Best of luck!
Old 05-10-2009, 07:23 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

I HAVE THE SAME OUTFIT!!!

It is a great outfit, and it will save you money in the future...(You wont have to replace cheap equipment)

I will say this. You might be able to find a Ross rythm somewhere for less money. Its a great reel, and its a little lighter than the galvan.

Either way you've picked out a great combo
Old 05-10-2009, 09:31 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
Jake
You would be buying a rod made in the USA from a well established maker &
be able to enjoy it for a long time or, until it "wears out". Take a look at the Loomis website for their warranty, makes a lot of sense to me.
Would suggest you cast one of the 3 weights before you buy, they are 3 piece & some folks don't seem to like the feel of 3pc compared to the 2 & 4pc rods.
You are on the right track with Loomis/Galvan, money well spent for good equipment that will serve you well for a long time.
Best of luck!
Is the Xperience made in the USA, Just asking? Several of the Loomis lower priced models are now made overseas since Shimano took over ownership.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:22 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Re: G Loomis Xperience

Loomis says all of their rods are made in Woodland, WA, USA
Old 05-11-2009, 03:30 PM

Jake. is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. All of my bass rods are G Loomis so I thought I would go with them for my first fly rod. Maybe after the Xperience I could save up for a Whisper Creek.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:34 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

All loomis rods are made in America