The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 08:50 AM

Edd is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for a 3 wt rod

Hi everyone, i am looking for a 7.5 t0 8 ft 3 wt rod with a medium action. Cabelas has the pt series with 25 year unconditional warranty, also comes with a rod tube. Does anyone have any opinions on this rod or suggestions for another rod in this price range? There are no shops locally where i can try out any rods. Your time and advice are appreciated. Ed
Old 04-23-2009, 09:31 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Looking for a 3 wt rod

I recently picked up a 7' 3wt Sage FLi for $125. They are on clearance and cant be beat.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:36 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

my favorite medium action 3wt is the elkhorn nomad.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 04-23-2009, 09:40 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

Albright make the A5 in a 7.5', 3 wt. I have a 9', 4 wt A5 and really like this rod. The rod bends more through the middle, with the tip being a bit stiffer than my St Croix Avids. It casts great, and is sensitive when fish hit. The warranty isn't as good as others but, they will repair rods for a reasonable fee outside of the warranty. Overall a great value, and a high quality rod. You can buy Albright rods off their website.

Temple Fork offer the Finesse in a 7' 9", 3 wt. I got a 7' 9", 4 wt and really like that rod. It a little slower action than the Albright. It casts very well on my pond, but I haven't taken it fishing as yet. Casting accuracy in close is very good, for me. It'll put out plenty of line as well, when needed. The warranty is lifetime on these rods. IMO these are a very good value, in a good quality fly rod.

What I say re: these rods is my opinion, and that of a fairly new fly fisher. For my taste and casting style/experience, I like the Albright rod better. And it's about $60. less.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:41 AM
ReelFlyRod is on a distinguished road

Hi Ed, I haven't fished any Cabela's brand rods in a number of years. I have no idea who is building these rods for them overseas or what the quality of the blank and construction is.

The Sage Fli closeouts are a bargain if you can find one at that price, but the FLi is much stiffer than the more moderate action it sounds like you are looking for.

For my money, (and $45 more) I would look at the Sage Lauch 376 (7'6", 3wt) for $220. It is a beautiul, smooth moderate action rod and a joy to cast. If you are looking to cast small dries with a delicate presentation, this is an excellent choice. The Launch is hand-built on Bainbridge Island here in the USA and come with the Sage Lifetime Warranty Card.

We have them in the Forum Fly Shop and in stock here at ReelFlyRod.com. Please feel free to call me at 937-434-8472 if you have any questions.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am leaning toward the launch or the finesse. Would like to hear more options though. Not having anywhere close to try out rods makes it tough to buy one. Ed
Old 04-24-2009, 08:22 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelFlyRod View Post
Hi Ed, I haven't fished any Cabela's brand rods in a number of years. I have no idea who is building these rods for them overseas or what the quality of the blank and construction is.

The Sage Fli closeouts are a bargain if you can find one at that price, but the FLi is much stiffer than the more moderate action it sounds like you are looking for.

For my money, (and $45 more) I would look at the Sage Lauch 376 (7'6", 3wt) for $220. It is a beautiul, smooth moderate action rod and a joy to cast. If you are looking to cast small dries with a delicate presentation, this is an excellent choice. The Launch is hand-built on Bainbridge Island here in the USA and come with the Sage Lifetime Warranty Card.

We have them in the Forum Fly Shop and in stock here at ReelFlyRod.com. Please feel free to call me at 937-434-8472 if you have any questions.
i have to say that if i were going to spend $120 more for a rod, the sage launch is the rod i would buy for anything 5wt and below. it is a very sweet rod and clearly superior to any production rod i have fished or cast.

so i guess i should have posted, "my favorite 3wt for the money..."

but i'm a seriously frugal bargain hunter.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Old 04-24-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy66 View Post
i have to say that if i were going to spend $120 more for a rod, the sage launch is the rod i would buy for anything 5wt and below. it is a very sweet rod and clearly superior to any production rod i have fished or cast.

so i guess i should have posted, "my favorite 3wt for the money..."

but i'm a seriously frugal bargain hunter.
The elkhorn is on the top of the list now. When i followed your link yesterday i saw the 350.00 price tag i thought it was out of my price range. I looked after reading your post this morning and realized i was looking at the wrong rod. I think i will be ordering the combo soon. Thanks, Ed
Old 04-24-2009, 09:58 AM

yeah, the 8' 3wt w/reel, line, and backing is $129. the reel is a place to store the line. but on a 3wt what do you need? but the rod is a very sweet "no frills" full flex medium-fast action rod. now, all of elkhorn's graphite rods are built with a progressive taper, but the nomad is much softer in the mid and butt sections than the traveler series (which is the baseline from which their rods diverge). so "full flex" isn't as full flex as say an orvis clearwater classic full flex, but it's very noticeably softer casting and on the mend and hookset than most modern graphites...very close to the sage launch, but not quite. of course, the sage is much prettier in fit and finish. but again, the elkhorn is built just fine and comes with a good warranty. it just depends on one's price point. like i said, if i were looking to spend $200, i'd buy the sage no doubt about it! but for $100 difference i'm tickled to death with the elkhorn nomad.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Old 04-25-2009, 11:58 AM

jkurtz7 is on a distinguished road

I don't think you will be disappointed with the Elkhorn, they have VERY nice rods for the money.

J.

Ultralight fly fishing guru