The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 09:04 AM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default G Loomis?

I hear very few people talking about G Loomis fly rods on this forum. I have absolutely no experience with them and know almost nothing about the company. I know they have a lot of top end offerings and their rods look beautiful in pictures. Does anybody have experience with them? Any opinions at all either way? I just never hear the brand name come up in recommendations.

Gary
Old 01-09-2011, 09:17 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: G Loomis?

Gary - I love 'em. I own 4 Loomis NativeRun GLX's and 1 Loomis Shorestalker. They are incredibly light, and absolute cannons. And I like that they are available in longer lengths. I have the 9'6" 7wt, the 9'6" 8wt, the 10' 9wt all of which are, based on the weather and water conditions, my goto rods for atlantics and bonefish. I also have the 11' 8wt switch rod, which has not been out of its tube yet. The Shorestalker series is a more moderately fast series, and shorter...excellent for bass fishing, in my case. I have the 6 wt.

I have tried, and used for years, Orvis. Then T&T, Sage, Powell, Scott, etc, searching for the rods of my dreams. I found them in the Loomis NativeRun GLX series.
Happy casting,
Gary

Last edited by gt05254; 01-09-2011 at 10:19 AM. Reason: attention to detail, lol
Old 01-09-2011, 09:48 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

They have Wilfred Brimley as a spokesman, and that makes it hard to get excited: G. Loomis Fly Rods

Seriously, one of the local shops carried Loomis, but stopped carrying them around 2003. They said dealing with the company was difficult, but I don't know what the inside scoop was. I've never seen a Loomis rod in any other fly shop, but I would guess their non-fly fishing rods do well. They certainly have a bunch of dealers in bait shops along the Jersey shore and Long Island
area.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:55 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

LOL, that's not Wilfred Brimley, and that's not the official Loomis site, its flyfishusa's idea of marketing a new rod.

BTW, I don't think I could be caught dead with an NRX...the colors are so....BASSMASTER.

The resale value of NativeRun GLX and CrossCurrent GLX is quite high, at least based on what I watch on fleabay. Don't know about fly shops carrying the brand...since there are none around here save the Orvis flagship store, I and my friends buy 'em online.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:03 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Gary, you are right, people on the forums talk about Loomis and seem to like them. Unfortunately, I can't answer your question. I replied b/c after reading several posts, I realized that I have never seen a Loomis fly rod. None of the fly shops I've been in (across several states) have carried Loomis......just thought that was interesting given that people do tend to like them and makes me wonder why.....do they have some company policies that make fly shops prefer not to deal with them?....Don't read anything into this post, just thinking "out loud" as I think I seen most of the more popular brands at one time or another.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:19 AM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

From what i have seen, they lost a lot of popularity when Gary Loomis sold the company to Shimano. Their rods are good though the prices are high (like everyone else). I have heard a lot of complaints about their warranty but its mostly hear say. Most people tend to think they will go the way of Fenwick. Sell out, move manufacturing overseas, stop innovating, go away. I hope not. They dont like to deal with smaller shops from what i hear. They like the big box stores like BPS, Cabelas, and Dicks. Unfortunately, fly fishing IS small shops as we are but a small industry. No support from fly shops typically means no support from fly fisherman.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:31 AM

Since there is only one fly shop within 50 miles around here - and that is the Orvis flagship store - support by fly shops for a product means absolutely nothing to those of us who fly fish in the area.

I'm within an hour of the capital of NYS, and I don't believe there's even a fly shop there. Goldstock's is the only one I can think of, and they are about an hour and a half from me.

Loomis' marketing strategy is anybody's guess. All I know is I'm glad I discovered the brand...LOL, except for the fish skeleton logo. eww. I know guys that have even sanded it off the reelseat!
Old 01-09-2011, 11:57 AM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
LOL, except for the fish skeleton logo. eww. I know guys that have even sanded it off the reelseat!

That's actualy a hugely popular window decal & hat/shirt here im Alaska!

They sell a lot of the G-Lomis rods in the <$200. range here for salmon fishing, including some combos with a cheal Phluger reel that I was looking at last night for about $120 in a 9'6wt 2pc. Most of the box type stores carry them. Very popular sockeye pole. Don't own one so I can't speak for the quality.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Old 01-09-2011, 12:15 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Since there is only one fly shop within 50 miles around here - and that is the Orvis flagship store - support by fly shops for a product means absolutely nothing to those of us who fly fish in the area.

I'm within an hour of the capital of NYS, and I don't believe there's even a fly shop there. Goldstock's is the only one I can think of, and they are about an hour and a half from me.

Loomis' marketing strategy is anybody's guess. All I know is I'm glad I discovered the brand...LOL, except for the fish skeleton logo. eww. I know guys that have even sanded it off the reelseat!
Except for the fact that Gary Loomis has publicly lambasted them about their marketing in several public arenas pointing out that they dont like to deal with small shops.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:43 PM

Cool Hand: Whatever. I really could care less about anything I've posted in this thread other than the fact that I really like Loomis NativeRun GLX rods and apologize to the thread originator for helping to get this thread sideways. As it stands at the moment, the thread has nothing to do with the original question.

The initial question in the thread was: does anybody have any experience with Loomis rods. Perhaps we got ourselves a little sideways into the minutiae of marketing or whatever. Actually, who cares?

My answer to the initial question stands: I really like Loomis NativeRun GLX rods and promise not to stray into marketing/fly shop/who said what/where/when/how.