Too Picky????

tytlynz64

Reaction score
Hello All:

I am new to the forum and have a bout of conscience. Perhaps a few viewpoints might help. As luck would have it the new girlfriend's folks took to me like a duck t water, but that is another issue. After a visit to their home for the holidays where I had the forethought to bring small but personal gifts, the new cold heat soldered (sic?) for Larry a memeber of the old guard ham radio cruisers. The folks did not know we were coming, but threw a great spread and the left overs went home with us. Anyway here is the issue. My Bday is approaching and the folks and my girlsfriend wanted todo something nice, which they did. She noticed my interest in a 6 wt. for light steelhead and throwing sinking lines for alpha browns. She had a friend acquire an Orvis T3 on ebay as a gift from them all. The trouble is I don't think I like it and was heavily leaning towards the new Sage VT2 or the New Loomis. Has anyone tried the 6 wt tip flex and with what results; and am I just being insane or does confidence in the equipment breed confidence on the water? I think I am crazy because is clawing to get into the closet and she has seen the look before. Thanks and look forward hearing from you...good or bad!

Fish Bones

Reaction score
Confidence is EVERYTHING. I absolutly believe... no, I'm convinced, that confidence breeds success in fly fishing. If you feel good about your gear, your flies and your skills... you will catch fish... and lots of them. I truly believe in that. So... in my, sometimes unshared, opinion if you do not have confidence in the fly rod get rid of it. Put it back on eBay.

Now, the T3's are very good rods. But that doesn't mean they're for everyone. Some folks just don't like fast action (tip flex) rods... some love them. Each caster has their own unique style. You might love, or hate, the Sage or G.Loomis. The thing is, keep searching until you find the rod that feels good to you.

A good thing to do is to go to your local fly shop and insist that they allow you to test cast the rod before you buy. Or better yet, buy a rod from a fly shop that will allow you to "Test Drive" the rod for a few weeks with the understanding that if you decide you don't like the rod you can bring it, or send it, back for a complete refund or exchange. Those shops are out there.

OK... but the big question here is "How are you going to break the news to your girl friend?"

Curtis

Reaction score
The T3 is a great flyrod. Give it a try. I think it would be great for what you are needing it for. Either way, are your girlfriends family looking to adopt a thirty something fat bald guy?

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
THe tip flex is a very fast rod. Orvis makes a fine stick, but if it were me I would lean towards a sage or winston.

Curtis

Reaction score
fshfanatic said:
THe tip flex is a very fast rod. Orvis makes a fine stick, but if it were me I would lean towards a sage or winston.
Unless of course it was free, in which case an Orvis would be great!