The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Allen Rods & Long Bellied Fly Lines

This weekend I was looking at the Scott A3 9' 5wt, As some know I've been looking at purchasing Medium Fast Action rod and that Scott A3 is sweet IMO. Matter of fact for Shortline and High Stick Nymphing I think I'd like that rod much better than my Redington CT maybe even better over all.

I happened to mention to the Gentleman helping me that I also intend to use the rod on a Float Trip on the Upper Sacramento River and he told me, because of the long mends with that rod I'll need a "Long Bellied Line" Like Rio Indicated line.

Now that Justin (Allen & Co) has announced this morning the shipment and release of the Nano TI rods I'm consider purchasing one of his. Especially
since a little bit ago one of the guys here who purchased one said that even though he was told the action is fast, he actually would call it moderate-fast.

Now with that in mind and being I'm always tyring to get most for my money (A.K.A. I'm tight) and do not want to spend $75 on a fly line if I do not need to. Though I will if its the only way to have an easier mending line since this will be my first float trip and I don't want to make learning to fly fish from a drift boat more difficult then it needs to be.

I'm wondering if there is a way to use one of Justin's weight forward lines at only $16 for forum members. Would up-lining by one line weight make mending easier or would that just slow the rod down a little and because I'd be trying to mend running line would it still be more difficult then a long bellied line?
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 01-10-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Allen Rods & Long Bellied Fly Lines

Tom, I'll make it easy for ya. If you buy the rod and I'll give you the line for free. Also, the 10' blanks will be done in 20 days aswell.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Check your PM's.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:31 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Tom....FWIW...I nymph the Sac in Redding and other rivers a little and have fished the Rio Nymph Taper (with the orange tip...). I find it easier to mend and if feeing adventurous, I can take the indicator off and watch the end of the line for subtle takes.

Having said that, I still think any decent WFF that's matched up with your rod will give you good service. The down side of the Rio line is that (for me) it really slaps the water and is harder to use when NOT nymphing.

In short, I like the line, but have changed it out for a more standard taper for all around use. I'm no expert, but that's my experience...-Mike
Old 01-11-2011, 06:30 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

FB

Sometimes I think FF equipment is getting TOO specialized, recommend you use the Allen WFF, should do just fine.
First time I fished from a drift boat I asked the guide for a short course in drift boat mending. That was more than a few years ago, am still asking the guides for suggestions. Didn't take long to get the message, it is the "mender", not the line or the rod.
Hope you enjoy your trip.

Imxer
Old 01-11-2011, 07:15 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I'm really excited as this is something I've wanted to do for years. However I was full time single dad with full custody full time so time and money were a bit tight. Now that my 'children' are Adults and out of the house thankfully I have a bit more of both these days. So I am doing some of the things I dreamed of for a long time. The pictures and movies I've seen of the Wild Rainbows and the fishing on the Lower Sacramento are amazing to me. I've been told that time of year the club is going (The end of April) even newbies can expect 10-20 fish and the average size as as large as the largest rainbow I've ever landed.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:54 PM

flyguy2 is on a distinguished road

Allen fly lines
$16 for forum members, how do you get the discount?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy2 View Post
Allen fly lines
$16 for forum members, how do you get the discount?
P.M. Justin (Allen & Co).