The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 08:35 PM

rausch51 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rausch51
Default Redington CPS

My local Sportsmans Warehouse is one of the unlucky stores being closed down. Damn shame, but thats a different story.

Anyway... I picked up a Redington Core Performance Series 5wt for next to nothing. Anybody have any experience with these rods?
Old 04-29-2009, 10:45 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Redington CPS

No experience with that one but hang in there for the deals. Tomorrow is the last day for our closing Sportsman's WH. Last week three of us from our FF club got some nice rods and reels that were still on the rack for 50%.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:14 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I have never fished teh CPS but do fish a Predator and my son has a crosswater., both very good rods.
Bear
Old 04-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I had a CPS 9FT#4 this rod looks nice,weel made, green blank and nice reel seat.I know it got some awards in blind tests.It's a fast action,I tested it with a 4 and 5 line which were both convenient,depends the lenght of line you mainly have out...I sold it...for I'm a Scott fan...I regret it sometimes.If you can find one at 50% off I think it's a good deal.A friend of mine has the new CPX 9,5#5 and is very pleased with it,I tested it and found it easy to use and very pleasant to fish with.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:59 PM

Walter1023 has a spectacular aura aboutWalter1023 has a spectacular aura about

Rausch.....I love that rod...its my favorite. I don't own any high end rods....prior to my Redington CPS purchase my 2 top end rods were a 9' 5wt TFO Ticr...an excellent rod...and a 8' 4 weight Sage Launch...also an awesome rod...both were $200 retail. I then bought a 9' 5 wt CPS on sale for $200 (normally $300) when they discontinued them....I bought it and just loved the way it casts both for indicator/split shot/nymph rigs...as well as dries. I then saw a 7 1/2' 4 weigth CPS reduced even further .....$150...so I bought that for when I fish some smaller streams but need more umphh than my medium action 7' 3wt. If you are disapointed with the CPS...you'll be the first person I communicated with that was.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:03 PM

rausch51 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rausch51

Looking forward to using this rod. I got the 8'6" 5wt. For $60 I figured it would be worth a shot.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:38 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

$60 !!! That's a steal!!!! The lifetime warranty means you have a rod
for life: Redington will replace it with a CPX if they run out of CPS rods.
I almost bought one for $129 from Cabelas, but waited, and the sizes I wanted were all gone. I spoke with the marketing vp at Redington about the
CPS, and he couldn't have been more enthusiastic about the rod. Enjoy !

The CPS seemed to have an instant following not long after it came onto the
market.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:56 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 9'0" CPS 8 wt. that I use for Striper fishing and I would not part with that rod. From my perspective, it's excellent in every aspect. As FrankB2 said, you got a steal at $60.00. Hold onto it and have fun!
Old 05-01-2009, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rausch51 View Post
Looking forward to using this rod. I got the 8'6" 5wt. For $60 I figured it would be worth a shot.
does the seller offer you a bottle of champagne with it?for $60...jump on it!
Old 05-01-2009, 05:31 AM

Walter1023 has a spectacular aura aboutWalter1023 has a spectacular aura about

My coworker is just getting into FFishing....the 9' 5wt was gone from Cabelas so he got the 8 1/2' 5 weight CPS...but it was $150. At $60...that is one of the best deals I've heard of. I also got a chance to cast his when I was giving him some instruction during a lunch hour....casts beautiful - which i assumed it would anyway. Unfortunately Sportsmans warehouse website indicates no online shopping...or I would have bought a few more at that price.