The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 11:03 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough
Default Up locking vs. down locking reel seats

Is there any disadvantage to using a down locking reel seat versus an up locking reel seat? I notice that most manufacturers have gone to up locking reel seats. I'm looking at the possibility of purchasing an 8 or 8.5 foot four weight and a few of my options have a down locking style of reel seat.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:51 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Up locking vs. down locking reel seats

On a single hand rod, uplocking gives you a bit more of a "fightng butt" to it. On a spey rod where you have a long rear grip anyway, but actually need to balance the rod, downlocking allows you to use a lighter reel. I build rods and pretty much always do it the way I just said for exactly those reasons. For example, my 15" Albright spey rod balances perfect with my 13oz. PENN 4GAR. But try and find a 13oz. fly reel. Now days they have more hole than metal. Your doing well if you can get a 9 oz. reel. If the seat had been down locking like I do it, you may have gotten away with a reel more in the 9 oz. zone. On a single hand rod, if you get Moby Dick on, and feel the need to rest the butt against your belly, that extra 3/4 or 1 inch your hand is away from you when you reel may help a bunch. I built a 12 wt. and caught what would be considered a freakin monster by fly rod standards. It has an uplocking seat and a fairly hefty fighting butt designed to use with a fighting belt. I both needed and liked it. If the reel seat would have been reversed, my reeling hand would have had less room. I would have been OK, but I like the way it turned out. I think it makes less difference on single hand rods than spey rods, but I like it the way I said.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:01 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'm still in the process of getting the materials together for a build but theres also the element of eye pleasure! On a spey it just looks classy to these eyes. Which brings me to a question, can an up-locker be reversed into a down locking? More to the point does the hardware have to change as I've seen the recessed hood down locking seats on T&T's two handers.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:55 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Downlocks died when that BIG, relative up-start of a rod manufacturer stopped offering them.
If you go to a fly shop these days it seems most of the staff never heard of downlocks much less actually used one.
I like them on lighter line weight rod and have them on the few bamboo rods I own. I like the bit of added hand room they allow.
One arguent I heard over the years against downlocks is that your reel can get more readily scratched up when setting your rig down. My reels or reel seats never get scratched when I set them down anyhow no matter which type of reel seat I'm using, I set the rod butt down on grass or in a pinch my hat.
Another type reel seat I like on very light line-weight rods are sliding band seats. These things give you a bit of adjustment on where the reel sits on the rod and thus let's you tweak the balance a wee bit.
Can't comment on two-handed rods as I don't know much about them.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

When I started fishing almost all were down lockers. My problem with up lock seats is that it is easier to drop a reel while trying to mount it. With a down lock seat the reel kinda stays put while you bring down the ring. With an up lock you must hold the reel up into the seat or it will fall. Any rods I bought under #7 weights that came with up lock seats I changed to down. For some reason on 7's, 9's, and two handers I don't care what they are..............?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-13-2011, 06:40 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I love my downlocking reel seats. Every glass rod I have that I built has a d/l seat. The only one I have with up locking is my Steffan. But I didn't build that one. I think all but one are sliding band seats too.
I like the looks on them on glass rods too, very classy. Graphite on the other hand, all uplocking seats.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:01 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I love my downlocking reel seats. Every glass rod I have that I built has a d/l seat. The only one I have with up locking is my Steffan. But I didn't build that one. I think all but one are sliding band seats too.
I like the looks on them on glass rods too, very classy. Graphite on the other hand, all uplocking seats.
I would agree. I mostly fish graphite rods which all have an uplocking seat. I prefer this for two reasons I think both were mentioned earlier.
It creates a fighting butt, but it also gives a little better balance.

I sometimes fish my late grandfathers 8.5ft 8wt fenwick glass rod that was one of my grandfathers and it has a downlocking seat. It gives better balance to the heavier rod.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:22 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

my .02
uplocking reel seats seem to have become the norm in the last 15-20 years. not sure why, but i'm assuming it has to do with the trend of style that has occured over this time. all of my early reel seats, say pre 90, were all of the down locking style. then as the decades have passed, here we are, almost exclusively uplocking. as far as balance goes, i've always thhought that the dl were fine but as i look at all my rods, they're all ul.

ARFE
Old 01-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
uplocking reel seats seem to have become the norm in the last 15-20 years. not sure why,
I'm pretty sure it was the invention of the recessed hood in the grip. Less hardware shows. The wood in the seat shows all the way to the grip, and it hust looks cleaner. In factory rods making the seat look cleaner and 'prettier' is a selling feature. I still do it so I have the reel farther from my body when I fighting butt the thing.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:41 AM

304rodco has a spectacular aura about304rodco has a spectacular aura about

All of the reel seats I make are DL with a sliding band. I wouldn't use anything else on rods that I was going to use. A reel will not drop off a properly fitted sliding band seat. I have an high-end uplocking seat that backs off at least once every time I use it.

www.304rodcompany.com

Last edited by 304rodco; 01-16-2011 at 02:12 PM.