The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 09:24 PM

jabraham is on a distinguished road
Default New Member & new fly fisherman

I'm looking forward to learning from other fly fisherman. I just tried the sport last summer and had a great time, using some older equipment. Need some advise as I just purchased a St. Croix 9'0" 6wt 4 pice "Regin" rod and a LAMSON KONIC FLY REEL 2. I plan to use this mostly for trout. Any advise?
Old 05-04-2009, 09:44 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Re: New Member & new fly fisherman

Welcome! Let me first congratulate you on the purchase of your first "modern" fly fishing outfit. You did a VERY good job selecting the rod and reel. Did you have help with that? (Assuming the Reign is one of the new burgundy colored ones.) These new St. Croix Reigns are by far one of the best values on the rod market today.

As far as advice goes...just lurk around here and spend some time. There are a lot of people that have a lot of knowledge and are willing to share. As you run into specific situations or have any questions make sure and make a post! You will be sure to get lots of responses!

Tight lines!
Old 05-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Abe,

Welcome to the group. You will need to be a little more specific as to what kind of advise you're looking for and I'm sure you'll get a bunch.

I'm Ard / Hardyreels

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-04-2009, 10:39 PM

jdorsey61 has a spectacular aura aboutjdorsey61 has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the wonderful world of fly fishing!
Advise? Savour the journey.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:51 PM

Hi Ard

Thanks for the welcome message. Being new to fly fishing I was looking for some advise in the rod and reel chosen. Here is what I selected St. Croix 9'0" 6wt 4 pice "Regin" rod and a LAMSON KONIC FLY REEL 2. I'm looking to fish mostly for trout. Did I select a setup that is intended for larger fish. Also any suggestions on line. I'm looking at 6wt floating Rio trout line. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:59 PM

Hi Dorian

To answer your question I made my selection without any help from other fly fisherman. The St Croix is a discontinued model from 2006. I think the Regin product line is a blue color. Anyway I was able to get this rod (retail $150.00) for $65.00. It received good reviews and it was by far much better then the one my father in law used back in the day. Thanks for your encouragement. I'm looking forward to using this outfit on a the north fork of the south branch of the Potomic river.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you got a great deal on a great outfit. It should be great for trout, and you can wave it at SM and LM bass too. Welcome to the forum, ask away if you have more questions, but the gear you've chosen sounds like it would be great for trout.

mark
Old 05-07-2009, 07:32 AM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

a 6 weight is a good all around outfit
Old 05-10-2009, 01:12 PM

Just wanted to let you know I went to our near by Cabela's to pick up my St. Croix rod and Lamson reel. I made sure I got plently of help in the fly fishing department. I know all this is somewhat new, but I was very impressed at the technology of the rod. It's nothing like the outfit I was given from my father-in-law.

Thanks Again
Old 05-10-2009, 01:24 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Really excited for you to get your new line wet!!! It will be fun!