The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2006, 06:31 PM

Funnel30 is on a distinguished road
Default Whats the difference?

I used a clearwater orvis 9" 3 7/8oz 6wt this past summer and thought it was great, not to sure of the flex but i am guessing a mid flex. i was given a t3 this christmas and haven't used it yet but was wondering what differences should i notice from the clearwater, obviously there should be something because of the price but what else. By the way I am going to exchange this T3 for something else whether it be another model of the T3 I am not sure yet. Any thoughts or personal reviews on the rods would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-02-2006, 06:46 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis
Default Re: Whats the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnel30
I used a clearwater orvis 9" 3 7/8oz 6wt this past summer and thought it was great, not to sure of the flex but i am guessing a mid flex. i was given a t3 this christmas and haven't used it yet but was wondering what differences should i notice from the clearwater, obviously there should be something because of the price but what else. By the way I am going to exchange this T3 for something else whether it be another model of the T3 I am not sure yet. Any thoughts or personal reviews on the rods would be appreciated. Thanks
I am not sure of your experience level but the T3 and Clearwater are night and day different. The T3 will be there when your skills improve and when you learn to cast better and better. The graphite and resins are better. It is built better. The taper is better. It is lighter and capable of much smoother casts. It will let you cast much better and further when you learn to do so.

While the Clearwater is a great rod, it is what it is. It is meant to help the beginning angler learn to cast. It is not meant as a rod for someone who knows how to haul line and make technical presentations.

Go out and cast that T3 and I think you will be surprised at the difference.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default Re: Whats the difference?

First of all... it depends on which Clearwater you were casting. Orvis upgraded their Clearwater rods a couple of years ago. The newer Clearwater rods are excellent sticks. The older version is still good, but the newer version is much better.

I teach fly fishing classes at our local community college (www.tjc.edu.com/fishing). We use two sets of 6wt rods for instruction. The newer Orvis Clearwater and the older version of the St Croix Premier. Both are medium action rods. Medium action (Mid Flex) rods are the very best rod for a beginner to learn with. The medium action is much more forgiving of a less than perfect casting style. 90% of all newbies initially struggle with fast action rods. They may eventually figure it out, but their learning curve will be much longer. Some become frustrated and lose interest before they even get to that point.

Anyway... the Orvis Clearwater rods that we use in class are in my opinion, the better casting rods. I hate to admit it because I don't sell Orvis... I do sell St Croix. But, when comparing those two rods, the Clearwater is a better performer.

So... to answer your question. I wouldn't be surprised if you liked the feel and cast of Clearwater better than the T3... or at least you were wondering why the more expensive T3 did not feel a lot better that the lesser expensive Clearwater. If that's the case... its because your present casting style is better suited for the Clearwater... a more medium action. That might change in a year or so... but it might not.

Curtis is correct… the difference between the T3 and the Clearwater is like night and day. But some folks may still enjoy the Clearwater a little more.

Personally, I prefer medium action rods in my 6wts and under. I enjoy the feel of a medium action much more than a fast rod. This allows you more accurate casts. It requires less effort (if your doing it right). Towards the end of the day, when my arm is tired, my casts do not suffer as much because the rod is more forgiving of my tired and sloppy casting stroke.

Curtis is right again... It is not meant as a rod for someone who knows how to haul line. But I must say that you can still make tactical and delicate presentations with a medium action rod.

Now... I prefer a fast rod in my 7wts and above. When I'm fishing my 8wt, I need more power to handle larger flies and/or to fight the wind. I also need to make longer casts during that time.

Truthfully... without observing your casting style, it’s hard to make a sound recommendation as to what you should do regarding your rod selection. The thing is... you're not going to be stuck with one rod for the rest of your life. I would probably lean toward advising you to get a medium action rod for now. As you progress you may want to kick it up a notch and get a faster rod... but maybe not.

I realize that conflicting opinions can be hard to absorb sometimes. We may not all agree... but we all have an opinion... and that doesn't mean that anyone is wrong. You just need to take all this information in and try to make the best decision for you. None of us can really tell you what to do. That's also part of the fun of fly fishing. Trying different rods and new gear. If it works out... great. If it doesn't... sell the stuff and get more.

Oh yea, one more thing, if you get rid of the T3… I still want to know how you break the news to your girlfriend.