The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 08:25 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: buying used rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltflytyer View Post
STAY THE FUDGE AWAY FROM A USED WINSTON unless it is worth a extra $200 more than a high end Sage or Scott!!
I agree, don't buy a used Winston.If you want one of the green rods, but it new
Old 05-16-2009, 09:34 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltflytyer View Post
On a Scale of 1-10, 1 being you will pay almost what you paid for the rod to get it repaired, and 10 being the company wont ask any questions nor care, I give Winston a 1 and TFO a 10. If you have a used winston YOU WILL PAY between $150- $250 to get it repaired. TFO: I dont even send in my warranty cards because I know they dont care (and I have sent a lot of TFO's back!). Sage: not sure? Have never heard of someone being treated like winston and from all accounts I have heard (only a few) they dont seem to care. Given how well the other big guys treat you, I would advise you to STAY THE FUDGE AWAY FROM A USED WINSTON unless it is worth a extra $200 more than a high end Sage or Scott!!

NO! I am not saying companies are obligated to fix your second hand rod for just the warranty fee, but given how the others dont care, STAY THE FUDGE AWAY FROM WINSTON (only on 2nd hand rods that is)
What are you doing to break so many rods? Shouldn't that be a pretty darn uncommon occurence?
Old 05-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I have never owned a Winston rod, but last season I was doing a float on the North Platte River with Lambster and another friend of his from GA. Lambster had borrowed a brand new Winston rod from another friend from GA and he was switching back and forth between two rods as he fished from the rear of the drift boat. I was rowing and at one point stood up so I could get a good look at the rapids that were coming up and as I sat back down in the rower's seat I ended up breaking the new Winston rod. When Lambster returned home it cost him $45 to have the rod repaired so I split the cost with him as it was partly my fault. Anyway, I wasn't impressed with Winston's warranty program. I have always fished with Orvis rods and they will repair them no questions asked if you send in the registration card.

Larry
Old 05-17-2009, 08:11 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road

I seem to recall that Loomis doesn't even have a card. This seemed strange, so I called after I bought a Streamdance a couple of years ago, and the person on the phone seemed pretty casual about the whole practice of warranty coverage-- "We don't care, just return it with the postage".
Old 05-19-2009, 09:24 PM

Bakerloo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I sat back down in the rower's seat I ended up breaking the new Winston rod. When Lambster returned home it cost him $45 to have the rod repaired so I split the cost with him as it was partly my fault. Anyway, I wasn't impressed with Winston's warranty progam.

Larry

A warranty is a usually written guarantee of the integrity of a product and of the maker's responsibility for the repair or replacement of defective parts. You sat on a rod and broke it. Why should Winston pay for this?? If I crash my car into a brick wall because I wasn't looking, should Acura have to fix my car because of my negligence?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:59 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerloo View Post
A warranty is a usually written guarantee of the integrity of a product and of the maker's responsibility for the repair or replacement of defective parts. You sat on a rod and broke it. Why should Winston pay for this?? If I crash my car into a brick wall because I wasn't looking, should Acura have to fix my car because of my negligence?
They shouldn't... but the competition does.
That is the point that is trying to be made here. I've returned 2 TFO rods, one was caught in the tailgate of my truck and it was obviously not a fishing accident or a deffect in manufacturing. TFO replaced the section without a single question.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
They shouldn't... but the competition does.
That is the point that is trying to be made here. I've returned 2 TFO rods, one was caught in the tailgate of my truck and it was obviously not a fishing accident or a deffect in manufacturing. TFO replaced the section without a single question.
Winstons are made in America and are the benchmark for fly rods. This is Winston's 80th year in business. They must have the warranty thing figured out by now.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:48 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I didn't realize this was a made in the USA issue. I never questioned the quality of a Winston rod. However, once again overseas manufacturers have found a way to improve on our fine products. They basically offer a warranty that is more insurance than warranty. If Winston chooses to rest on its history and not pay attention to its competion it will suffer the same fate that countless other American manufacturers have fallen victim to.
I am an American and I buy American products when they are the best choice, not just because they are made in the USA.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:17 AM

For me, it's not a "buy American" issue. TFO's are made off shore, they can do it cheaper. Winston can't do it as cheap. They can either sell them at a loss or make and sell a high quality product at a premium. Sort of like saying "if you want the best, you must pay for the best."

I can go to Mickey D's for a burger or I can go to the best steak house in town. Both will fill your belly, just as both rods will catch fish.

I'm not anti TFO. I'm actually looking for a TFO Jim Teeny Series nymphing rod.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:58 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

My POV salt flats and I don't fish offshore flyrods ...last time trouting last May the PM with my Wes Jordan 8' 7 wt two piece there was not enough time in the day to wait for it to cycle three casts...buy used sage... if you are a risk taker and the Winston is priced right get it ...my go to 12 wt is an XTR 3 piece that was set up fctory custom for LMB...I got it four years ago for 185.00 lawn cast only and I installed a fighting butt and it's still in service.
Good used or demo high end fly rods are great bargains for great rods and if you don't go by air or if so and don't mind check bag... look for two piece used