The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 11:17 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: buying used rods

Okay, here's a radical thought. Because high-end rod manufacturers are expected to provide "no-fault" insurance (i.e., repair or replace at nominal cost damage to their rods that are negligently caused by their customers), the cost of these rods have to be considerably higher than they would otherwise be, in order to absorb those warranty repair costs. In other words, rod users who are careful with their rods end up subsidizing those who are careless.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:43 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Okay, here's a radical thought. Because high-end rod manufacturers are expected to provide "no-fault" insurance (i.e., repair or replace at nominal cost damage to their rods that are negligently caused by their customers), the cost of these rods have to be considerably higher than they would otherwise be, in order to absorb those warranty repair costs. In other words, rod users who are careful with their rods end up subsidizing those who are careless.
I agree... with Fly... I have a friend that has gone through 4 rods because he treats his equipment like **** and complains why they break. I have a few political statements but I won't.. I would even feel wrong expecting to have a rod repaired for free because I was dumb enough to shut the door on it. However, at $800 I guess they (the manufacture) expect 1 out of X people to send it in and the X is the factor that a $100 rod gets increased.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:24 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I think I've been treated farily by Sage on rod repairs. Case in point.

About a month ago, I was fishing the upper Lackawaxen creek in Northeastern PA. It was a bright day, with a great Hendrickson hatch - but no top water action; probably due to the brightness of the day.

In looking for rising fish, I notice that there were quite a few nose rises in the shadow of a bridge that goes across a nice piece of water that the locals call Meade's Pool. So, I rigged my rod, stood under the bridge and started casting sidearm to the rises with both a female Hendrickson and male Hendrickson (Red Quill) pattern.

On the first strike, I got overly excited (first fish of the day; sometimes that happens - right?), totally forgot where I was standing and set the hook with a strong vertical motion; which, of course, meant that I struck the bridge superstructure with the tip of my rod. I snapped it off right at the second ferrule and, by the way, I lost the fish. Bummer!

I took the rod back to the shop where I bought it and they sent it in to Sage; never asked for the warranty card, or even how I managed to break the rod. Three weeks later it's back from Sage. All the sections match and fit together well and the total cost with shipping was $50.00. For a breakage that was totally my own fault and that had nothing to do with materials or workmanship, I think that's a pretty good deal.

No complaints here on Sage's warranty policy.