The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 01:42 AM

overefined is on a distinguished road
Default buying used rods

I was wondering if anyone had experience with buying used higher end fly rods without the warranty cards and tried to send the rod back for repair. What companies have the most friendly return/repair policy
Old 05-11-2009, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying used rods

I broke the tip of my Scott g 955 last year,they changed it although it's an old model,I only paid the shipping...so...
Old 05-11-2009, 08:42 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I've had absolutely no problem returning Orvis and TFO rods. Neither had warranty cards.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:44 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I've had absolutely no problem returning Orvis and TFO rods. Neither had warranty cards.
Loomis too!
Going used, you can get state-of-the-art fly rods at commodity rod prices.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:46 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Two used Sage rods for me with no problems. Both a third of what a new rod of equal quality would cost me.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I had two incidents where rods had to be returned to Orvis. No one ever ask to see my proof of purchase, they made repairs and returned them promptly.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-15-2009, 10:57 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Loomis too!
Going used, you can get state-of-the-art fly rods at commodity rod prices.
Ditto's on what the Jackster says... I purchased 5 Scotts, 1 Z and 1 ZeroG last year on Ebay and tried them all selling back all but the G2. I only lost 50 bucks but man did I have fun and found the high end rod for me. And on ebay if you watch you can pick up lawn cast / close out rods with blank warranty.

This way you get a $800 rod for 250 to 375. Commodity price. Just watch what you buy and don't get excited.. There are about 40 rods selling every week in the 4,5,6 wt Scott, Sage, Orvis, Winston, and T&T. This is actually my search.. I also drop the FLI and T3 with a (-fli)

I totally believe it is worth it and I will always try these rods. The only rod that hasn't made the commodity round is the Helios.. They are still selling on ebay for 500+
Old 05-16-2009, 07:56 AM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

Winston can be kind of picky about their rod repairs, but I've never bought one of their used rods. When my 3 weight WT broke (Tip snapped, My fault)
I sent it in, with the warrenty card, and about 5 days later I got a call asking for the details and what not. In the end I didn't have to pay anything.

But after all that, I don't know how friendly they'd be on a used rod.

Sage/Hardy/Loomis/Orvis/St.Croix/TFO have all been good to me
Old 05-16-2009, 09:10 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sage enters the name on the warranty card on a computer database (I called
to see if my cards had arrived). Whether the repair department checks the
serial number with the name, I don't know. The last rod I broke was a $17
fiberglass fly rod, and that was 30 years ago....

St. Croix has now extended their warranty to used rods BTW.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:22 PM

saltflytyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
I broke the tip of my Scott g 955 last year,they changed it although it's an old model,I only paid the shipping...so...
On a Scale of 1-10, 1 being you will pay almost what you paid for the rod to get it repaired, and 10 being the company wont ask any questions nor care, I give Winston a 1 and TFO a 10. If you have a used winston YOU WILL PAY between $150- $250 to get it repaired. TFO: I dont even send in my warranty cards because I know they dont care (and I have sent a lot of TFO's back!). Sage: not sure? Have never heard of someone being treated like winston and from all accounts I have heard (only a few) they dont seem to care. Given how well the other big guys treat you, I would advise you to STAY THE FUDGE AWAY FROM A USED WINSTON unless it is worth a extra $200 more than a high end Sage or Scott!!

NO! I am not saying companies are obligated to fix your second hand rod for just the warranty fee, but given how the others dont care, STAY THE FUDGE AWAY FROM WINSTON (only on 2nd hand rods that is)