The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2009, 07:55 AM

BambooJim1961 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation HELP!!!! Need Bamboo Rod Parts!!!!!!

Hey All;
I need some help. I have researched this issue for days and I can't find anything outside of e-bay. I need to locate some blank sections for repair of my dad's old bamboo rods. I need a mid section for a 8 1/2 ft. This rod has two tips one for 7 wt line and one for 5 wt. I need a tip section for a 9ft 5 wt. Can any of you HELP with my delima.
Thanks
Jim
Old 05-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: HELP!!!! Need Bamboo Rod Parts!!!!!!

Jim,

You will need to know the rod maker or be able to identify the taper in order to order blanks. You should be able to use the ferrules that you have so they won't be a worry. If you know the brand of the rod simply buy some more of the same make and swap out the ferrules and use the sections. If you don't know the make of the rods contact a bamboo crafter and that person can 'build' you some blanks.

Or, you can use any cane that is a suitable cosmetic match by mic-ing (micrometer) the shaft and matching it to the taper of your tip shaft. In order to do this you will need to gather as many 'cheap' rods as you can find / afford and simply mic the lot to find the shaft that may work.

Hope that made sense, good luck,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-15-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Jim,

You will need to know the rod maker or be able to identify the taper in order to order blanks. You should be able to use the ferrules that you have so they won't be a worry. If you know the brand of the rod simply buy some more of the same make and swap out the ferrules and use the sections. If you don't know the make of the rods contact a bamboo crafter and that person can 'build' you some blanks.

Or, you can use any cane that is a suitable cosmetic match by mic-ing (micrometer) the shaft and matching it to the taper of your tip shaft. In order to do this you will need to gather as many 'cheap' rods as you can find / afford and simply mic the lot to find the shaft that may work.

Hope that made sense, good luck,

Ard
Ard;
This is an old Sport King M-65 9 ft. It was made by South Bend in the 50's or 60s I am not sure which. I broke the tip section and both the brand and the Co. are no longer in operation. Who do I need to contact for the blanks???
Jim
Old 05-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Jim,

Watch for my PM. I will have to look but I may have one. You will need to be able to mic your pieces if you have them to see if this is a match,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-15-2009, 04:17 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

I'm not sure I understood in your original post what was wrong with the ebay option. I would think that would be your best bet, to keep an eye out for the same model on ebay. The other thing you might try is to post a wanted to buy ad over on the Classic Rod Forum.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshort View Post
I'm not sure I understood in your original post what was wrong with the ebay option. I would think that would be your best bet, to keep an eye out for the same model on ebay. The other thing you might try is to post a wanted to buy ad over on the Classic Rod Forum.
You are right but, most of the parts are up for auction and it would take several days and much attention to bid and win the auction, so if I can get the parts some where else then I won't have to wait.
Jim
Old 05-15-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Jim,

Watch for my PM. I will have to look but I may have one. You will need to be able to mic your pieces if you have them to see if this is a match,

Ard
I'll be watching.
Jim
Old 05-16-2009, 07:12 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Have you tried Clark's forum? I'll bet ya a beer that someone there has access to the original taper metrics (measuring an older finished rod isn't perfectly accurate), and you can find a maker to reproduce the section for you for a reasonable cost. I've run across a few makers and enthusiasts there who have substantial amounts of taper info for older rods... just a thought.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford