The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 03:09 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Winston Vapor vs DB Flawless vs Sage Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Yo! Here's a Redington CPS for 1/2 price: CLICK HERE They have a lifetime breakage warranty, and were very well liked before
being discontinued. Don't worry about the discontinued thing: Redington will give you the CPX if your rod breaks (I called ).
I took advantage of this 1/2 price offer a few weeks go, getting the 7644. I have been very happy with the rod, and for under $150, you can't do much better for small spaces.

BUT, since you are getting the cash, the WT is a great way to go. I have it's predecessor, the IM6, in a 6wt and LOVE it.

Sep
Old 05-31-2009, 04:28 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

FLIGHT!!!

I am a real sage fan, and I liked the Fli, but the flight is the boss. If you are looking for a fast action rod, you're not going to be dissapointed. The Flight is also great because it has some delicacy, and there lies the difference between the fli and the flight. The fli was just really fast.

If you're looking for a medium fast, Listen to Frank and go with the Avid. Great feel.

The WT from winston is a great rod, but you're talking 400$$$ more for that.
If you do decide to save up, also try a sage ZXL.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Since you're looking for a short 4wt, I would look into a slower action rod. I think of an 8' 4wt as a great small stream stick, but this is a situation where you'll frequently be casting 20' or less. A used Winston WT, Scott G, Sage VPS Light or LL would be great.

A Diamondglass or another fiberglass rod like a Steffen Bros would be a fun option as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:46 PM

udawgxc is on a distinguished road

I have to totally agree with all of you. Thanks again for the feedback in and information. I have decided to go with the WT... possibly the Boron, though I have a 5wt that I can bust out for larger streams.

As far as sage rods, I can understand why so many people like them, personally, they are just too stiff and too fast!

Now it's just waiting for a paycheck or 2, and then deciding on a reel.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:05 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Which Sage rods were too stiff?

EDIT: I don't want to raise an issue that may not be an issue, but how is Winston doing as
a company. A large portion of the WT's price is going toward the warranty, and you'll want them to be around.
If the Sage ZXL series was too stiff for you, the TXL is a softer alternative.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:46 AM

udawgxc is on a distinguished road

Hey Frank,

So I casted the flight, z-axis, and zxl. To me they are all stiff with a fast tip action (as they are supposed to be...). It's just a preference to me I guess.

As far as I have heard, Winston is still doing well. Actually, they have new business management, which could be kind of bad... I heard from some dealers they now have to order larger quantities of rods compared to days past. I don't think them sending out the ascent and vapor is that big of a deal... of the Winston dealers I spoke to, a lot of people buy them and love them. The only part that concerns me is the fact that the bamboo designers left the company (my guess is due to the new management people who seem to be trying to get Winston to sell more rod..)

Of course, this is all just hearsay and speculation, as I have not actually ever talked to Winston company !
Old 06-04-2009, 01:08 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

Winston is starting to make a recovery, Scott is the company thats hurting
Old 06-04-2009, 04:12 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by udawgxc View Post
Thanks again guys!

I did hear that about the lower end Winstons, but still worth a shot just to test them out.

I actually just moved to Minneapolis, so I'll mostly be doing smaller spring creeks for little brookies and browns. The places I've checked out so far lead me to believe I won't be casting more than about 40'.

I did just find out my family is planning on giving me a nice little cash gift for finishing my grad degree , so I think I may be able to look at the ZXL, or the WT...

I had casted some St Croix's a long time ago, and didn't like it so much, but then again, it's been a few years since I've done any of this, and what do I know? haha

Well it depends a lot on your price range. The Cortland Brook 8 foot 4 weight is a great small stream trout rod, especially at 179.99. If cost is not as big an issue it's hard to beat the Winston 8 foot 4 weight TMF. It's a two piecer but probably the best small stream dry fly rod ever built. Their are some big and very picky browns in some of those Spring Creeks. You want a medium or slow action rod that will help you land your flies softly. The eight footer is nice on small streams where you can't back cast and need to roll cast or dab a fly. It's hard to roll cast with a 6-7 foot rod easily.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
Well it depends a lot on your price range. The Cortland Brook 8 foot 4 weight is a great small stream trout rod, especially at 179.99. If cost is not as big an issue it's hard to beat the Winston 8 foot 4 weight TMF. It's a two piecer but probably the best small stream dry fly rod ever built. Their are some big and very picky browns in some of those Spring Creeks. You want a medium or slow action rod that will help you land your flies softly. The eight footer is nice on small streams where you can't back cast and need to roll cast or dab a fly. It's hard to roll cast with a 6-7 foot rod easily.
Agreed
Old 06-05-2009, 07:15 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

I have the Winston Vapor in the 5 wt and it is more on the Fast end of Med/fast. I have to say I'm a little disappointed in it( it replaced a broken Winston Ibis). I have to agree with Frank's assessment about it's value. I'd consider another brand like the Albright A5. For $112 it is a steal and fishes more of what an expensive rod should fish like. Only downside is it is made in Korea, designed here. Honestly I liked it so much I bought another. I fished my Vapor on the Madison last year and by noon I had switched to the Albright and liked it much better.