The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2006, 10:47 PM

ffffg is on a distinguished road
Default sage ds line size 7 and wind..

i have the sage ds in a five weight and i really like it.. i want to get a 7 for bigger fish and the wind.. will the ds in a number 7 work on a windy lake ok?.. thanks dave..
Old 03-10-2006, 03:01 AM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis
Default Re: sage ds line size 7 and wind..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffffg
i have the sage ds in a five weight and i really like it.. i want to get a 7 for bigger fish and the wind.. will the ds in a number 7 work on a windy lake ok?.. thanks dave..
Absolutely. That rod is a cannon. You do know though that they discontinued that line, right?

You might be able to find one on Ebay though. Check out the Launch by Sage. You might be in love.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:16 AM

i waited all night to get a post on the 7 weight sage ds.. glad you came thru curtis.. i just bought one on buy it now for 125.00 on ebay and was very nervouse it would be gone.. i hope i like it.. im going to put the ross evolution three on it for lunkers at a special lake here, and for very windy days on the missouri.. dave..
Old 03-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffffg
i waited all night to get a post on the 7 weight sage ds.. glad you came thru curtis.. i just bought one on buy it now for 125.00 on ebay and was very nervouse it would be gone.. i hope i like it.. im going to put the ross evolution three on it for lunkers at a special lake here, and for very windy days on the missouri.. dave..
Congrats. That is a good price too. I am sure you will enjoy it. I have no doubt you will see it cut through the wind. A five weight is not really made for windcutting but a seven is. Enjoy!
Old 03-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Cast Like A Pro

dougm will become famous soon enoughdougm will become famous soon enough

As Curtis mentioned, the DS is a capable wind fighter. I have one in an 8-weight that I carry around in the car whenever I’m near the coast.

To maximize its wind fighting capability, I recommend using a sidearm stroke and casting as close to the surface as possible. The closer to the ground, the less the effect of the wind on the cast.

You might also consider equipping it with Rio’s WindCutter matching the rod’s size. Because of its unique compound head, as depicted below (click the link), I believe the WindCutter has an edge on the competition.
http://www.rioproducts.com/images/20129-2.jpg

I don’t have the faintest idea why Sage cancelled this series. No one I’ve ever met has a bad words to say.

Doug

Fly Fishing with Doug Macnair
www.douglasmacnair.com
Old 03-13-2006, 09:44 PM

ive gotten the sage 7 ds in from alaska today..i think i won it on auction thurs or fri.. now thats fast.. it is a showroom model and looks new except for some scratches on the black aluminum reel seat.. im totaly delighted, its beautiful and even has a fighting butt.. action is not real fast, and i didnt want that anyway.. im going to put on the ross evoloution 3.5 per your instructions with 20 lb backing.. then im going to go out to try her tomorrow at houser lake as the ice is comming off... i have a freind that cought some 5 pound rainbows out there a couple days ago.. i havnt verified the sizes yet but hopfully will be able to in the next couple weeks.. to some poeple 3 1/2 pounds is a 5 pounder.. but im up for some big fish!!.. to some stocked fish just aint the same, but to me if they make that reel scream, im in heaven.. dave..