The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 03:46 PM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about
Default tfo lefty kreh professional series.

Has anyone had any experience with the tfo professional series 4wt rod? also are there other rods in that price range that yall would recommend?
Old 01-21-2011, 03:50 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly
Default Re: tfo lefty kreh professional series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianfishn View Post
Has anyone had any experience with the tfo professional series 4wt rod? also are there other rods in that price range that yall would recommend?
I would check out TFO BVK series rods, going to pick-up my new BVK 8wt in the morning.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 01-21-2011, 04:10 PM

markg52 will become famous soon enough

I have it in a 5 wt. Like it a whole lot.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:56 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg52 View Post
I have it in a 5 wt. Like it a whole lot.
The Professional is a fast action rod, right? How long have you had it, Mark, and what is your fishing experience/ability, if I may? I ask because I am considering buy this blank and building up the rod for my brother who is just a beginner to fly casting. He's been at it for a few years but not with the same vigor, shall we say, as some of us with the lifelong affliction! Anyway, he's been using some short, heavy Cabelas combo and I'd love to put a light, fast yet responsive 9 or 8 1/2' 5 wt in his hands. But I haven't casted it yet.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2011, 05:03 PM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough

I'm pretty new to the game, but my8'6" 4wt.is my go to.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Personally I would check out the Allen & Company Nano Ti series. These rods are in the same class as some companies $700+ rods (think Orvis Helios) and Justin the owner is a sponser of this forum. He gives forum members very good discounts on already excellent prices. I've ordered two of these rods a 9' 5wt and a 9' 6wt. and should recieve them in the next couple days or so with couple of his Trout series reels. I already own a couple of his reels a Alpha series and a Trout series and they are of the same quality as the Abels I used to own at a 1/4th the price price of the Abels. Allen & Co. warranty is simple if it brakes send it in and Justin will fix or replace it!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:27 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
Personally I would check out the Allen & Company Nano Ti series. These rods are in the same class as some companies $700+ rods (think Orvis Helios) and Justin the owner is a sponser of this forum. He gives forum members very good discounts on already excellent prices. I've ordered two of these rods a 9' 5wt and a 9' 6wt. and should recieve them in the next couple days or so with couple of his Trout series reels. I already own a couple of his reels a Alpha series and a Trout series and they are of the same quality as the Abels I used to own at a 1/4th the price price of the Abels.
Thanks, FlyBum, I am in touch him Justin. I'd just as soon buy a rod from an actual person doing quality work, and right here in the NW. There is a post in the classifieds for the new Nano Ti
Old 01-21-2011, 05:49 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I have just the rod your talking about, just got it around xmas. I bought it because of the warranty. I have a 3,4,5 wt pro series rods. I've never fished with anything else so I can't give any comparisons.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:16 PM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about

Have any of you used the st.croix imperial? I'm considering either that or the tfo.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:02 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

My first quality fly rod was was the TFO Professional in 9' 5wt. I used it from the time I was a pretty terrible caster, until now. The warranty is awesome, it doesn't get any better than "no fault" $25 fixed in a matter of days.

Dean_MT; It served me very well as a huge step up from my junk Bass Pro rod. Like I said, it serves me well even now; a decent caster with 5 years under my belt. I still use it and have never felt that it was below me. It is a decent all around rod. I fished plenty of dries and it has a little backbone to double-nymph etc. It is also the biggest rod I have, so I cast all my big night flies on it without too much trouble. Size 2 dear hair, articulated stuff. If I only had $150 to own one rod I would do it again in a heartbeat. It is a med-fast in most peoples opinions. I think that is what they advertise it as on their website.

I wouldn't call it fast, and I'm not sure what you mean by responsive exactly (feel?). But I always felt comfortable with it and developed a good relaxed stroke. I'm no expert, so all I can really offer is my personal experience with it; it was very easy to get comfortable with as a rookie caster.