The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2009, 11:37 AM

udawgxc is on a distinguished road
Default Reel Help

Hey everyone! This is a sort of follow up to my previous post, asking for any input on some Winston vs. Sage vs. Diamondback rods. I got the opportunity to cast a bunch of 4 wts at 8-9' in all the brands here. Decided I'll be getting a Winston, either a WT (not sure if a TMF 2piece or the 3 piece) or a BIIx.

In my opinion, both were incredibly soft and smooth rods, as well as super light weight, all very desirable qualities... now I need to match a reel.

Looking for something small and light, say mid to high end. I've heard some good things about the Ross Evolution, but not so sure about it..

Any input and preferences you guys and girls may have would be awesome!!
Old 05-24-2009, 04:58 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reel Help

I have several Ross Rhythm and one Evolution reel. The drag on both reels
is identical (I called Ross, and Brandt told me the parts are all the same).
You might be able to find a Rhythm cheap if you look around. I saw one sell
for $66(!!!) on ebay a couple weeks ago, and it was brand new. Since
owning the Rhythm and Evolution, my reel quest has ended .

Last edited by FrankB2; 09-01-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:03 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

These questions can really be answered by the fishing conditions you are going to use this rod and reel under. Im assuming that its a trout combo, but some factors to consider would be, how far you need to cast, wind that you need to deal with, nymphs/dries...etc.

I love all winston rods. The WT is great for a close, short casting, or spring creek type application, while the BIIx will be a lot better for long casts and bigger flies, plus it will cast better in the wind.

The Ross Evolution is an amazing reel. It's light, comes in some nice finishes, and has a great drag system. Made in the USA. Mine has preformed perfectly.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:21 AM

Thanks guys...

I kinda think right now I'm looking at Ross and Abel.

I agree the WT is better for spring creeks, which is pretty much what I'll hit here in SE Minnesota and Western Wisconsin.... Casts of maybe 30 feet.. As for the wind, it comes and goes, haha.

I"ll be doing both dries and nymphs (though I'm admittedly much more fond of making a nice brown or rainbow rise at a dry haha).

I'll take a look at some of the ross reels around, as well as some abels I've been able to find.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:56 AM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

The WT would be the better choice for 30 foot casts, wind or no wind.
Which abel's were you looking at?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:42 AM

I totally agree that the WT is better for smaller creeks. And since I have a 5 wt now, it's def the better choice.

I've been looking at the Creek and Trout series from Abel. I want to say one of those series does not have the quick release spool. I thinkt he Creek is the better reel, and I like the standard/large arbor option. It also looks pretty badass, just as long as it balances well with the rod.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:02 AM

The Creek does not have a quick release option on the spool......Im 90% sure that the Trout series does have a quik release option.

Mojo/Hardyreels turned me on to the hardy lightweight series...great little reel.

The Ross Evolution is still a good option as well.