The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2006, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default New Member of the Fiberglass club!

I just won a glass rod on eBay and I'm pretty excited to get it and give it a spin. Its a Sheakespeare 8' 7/8wt and is a 3 piece. It was described as like new, and that's about it. It was cheap and we'll have to see if it was just plain cheap or if it was a good deal. I'm planning on fishing a wf6f lazerline on it, hopefully that will load it to my liking. I'll also likely have to slow my stroke WAY down to fish it, but that will probably help my casting with other rods as well.

For those also hunting for vintage glass on eBay, you may find some glass rods that say nothing about it being fiberglass in the listing, and so therefore won't show up if you search by that term. I think this rod would have gone for $10 or more extra if it was listed with fiberglass in the title.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:22 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Member of the Fiberglass club!

Hi Cliff. If you like to stop and smell the coffee, boo or glass is the way to go.
I picked up one (Berkley Bucaneer 6pc for $25 a couple weeks ago. Also own a Steffan Bros. 3/4w that's a dream.
Enjoy it. Roll cast it a mile bro.

MOjo
Old 03-26-2006, 06:34 PM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough

I have an old fiberglass that I occasionally use. It is fun but very slooooow.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I still haven't cast mine yet. Its awfully heavy. Since its a 3 pc rod, I'm planning on making the top two sections into a rod, by adding a grip, using the reel seat already with it, and moving the stripping guide off the butt section up to the newly gripped section. It will be a while before we get to it, as my wife and I are soon to close on our first house. I'm sure looking forward to having a garage to do that kind of thing though.

Old 04-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

I scored big time in the glass realm today. Went to a pawn shop to look around and found a brand new, plastic still on the grip, 7.5 foot 5 weight fenglass. Tag said $59 but the tip top guide was bent so they went down to $35. A little finger pressure and the guide is in perfect shape. Brought it home and went to the back yard. That thing is just beautiful Smooth, deeeeeep flexing. Throws two feet of line but will kick out fourty too. Cannot wait to put it to use on the stream.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:43 PM

TNFishnStix is on a distinguished road

Beign primarily a bamboo person, I was absolutely awestruck when I go my hands on a glass rod about a month ago. What a great way to go. Now I have several of them and still building....gotta love that glass
Old 04-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

That's a heck of a find Curtis, you could easily double your money on eBay if you wanted to.

I haven't gotten around to making mine into a 5'6" rod yet, and it'll be a while before I can get to it.

Old 04-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Cast Like A Pro

dougm will become famous soon enoughdougm will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the club, Cliff ... You will do well by shortening the length of the beast down to between 6 and 7-feet. (Nothing wrong in a staggered length).

If you send me your regular email address, I'll send you a copy of our rod building book in PDF format.

When you have done done it to it, as they say, I'll bet the jewel is just that -- a jewel of a casting rod.

Doug

Fly Fishing with Doug Macnair
www.douglasmacnair.com
Old 04-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff
That's a heck of a find Curtis, you could easily double your money on eBay if you wanted to.I haven't gotten around to making mine into a 5'6" rod yet, and it'll be a while before I can get to it.
Yeah, they sell on Ebay for more now then what they sold for in stores but I am not going to sell. I am excited to go and use this thing. Now if it would quit FREAKING snowing!

It is going to be a looooooooooong runoff this year.