The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 01:00 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default looking to get new rod...confused!

As I look at all the different brands, models, actions, lengths, wt, etc, I am getting a little overwhelmed. I would like to get a decent rod/reel, but of course i dont want to spend thousands of dollars either. If i can spend $150 - 200, that would be alright. I will be fishing mostly for trout on smaller streams, and mid size rivers that are about 30-40 yards wide at the most. the streams are usually pretty tight, with alot of trees and tall weeds.
I also dont want a 'El Cheapo' set up, as i already have one of them, a shakespeare 5/6 wt that I really dont think I like, but may put on 7wt line and take to the mississippi for bass and crappie.
i dont want to embark on this new avenue of my life with a 40 dollar peice of **** from walmart. I want something that will stand up and deliver, something i can grow with, something I can be confident in.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:15 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking to get new rod...confused!

A St. Croix Avid in 8.5' wt sounds about right.....to me Some people say
a short rod is more handy in tight spots, but I do alright with an 8 1/2 and
even 9 foot rod in streams that are small: the extra length can be useful if
you need to stand back away from the bank, so that the fish don't see you.
The Avid is mod-fast, so it'll load with very little line out. The workmanship
is fine, and it's made in the USA. My 9' 5wt Avid was used mostly by my wife,
on lakes, rivers, and small streams. She seems to have developed a preference for 8 1/2' 5wts as an all-around rod at this point.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:29 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Second the Avid. Great rod and excellent company.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:31 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Looking at the St.Croix Avid, and the Sage Launch. Both look to be excellent. Orvis Clearwater 2 rods look good too. Too many choices! But I am lovin the shoppin. Let the obsession begin?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:50 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I find that when I do go out, depending on where I'm going, I'll reach for the 8ft 4wt Avid before my 9ft, 5wts (older Imperial and Quarrow Drake). I love the Drake, but I'm thinking more and more of upgrading from the old model Imperial to an Avid.

I just LOVE casting the Avid. I overlined it with a WF5F a week or so ago and could get 50' even with my less than perfect casting ability.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:31 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

were you wanting to spend 200$ dollars total, or 200 dollars on the rod?

The TFO series 1 fly rod is really great, at $110.
And for a reel...If you look around, you might be able to find a ross rythm for under 100 bucks.....great reel.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:20 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I would also add Echo to the list to look at.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:21 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

if you can afford it I would go with Sage but I had a chance to try out a buddies TFO today and it was a pretty smooth rod. It was only $160 too I think.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:51 AM

saltflytyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnflyfish View Post
As I look at all the different brands, models, actions, lengths, wt, etc, I am getting a little overwhelmed. I would like to get a decent rod/reel, but of course i dont want to spend thousands of dollars either. If i can spend $150 - 200, that would be alright. I will be fishing mostly for trout on smaller streams, and mid size rivers that are about 30-40 yards wide at the most. the streams are usually pretty tight, with alot of trees and tall weeds.
I also dont want a 'El Cheapo' set up, as i already have one of them, a shakespeare 5/6 wt that I really dont think I like, but may put on 7wt line and take to the mississippi for bass and crappie.
i dont want to embark on this new avenue of my life with a 40 dollar peice of **** from walmart. I want something that will stand up and deliver, something i can grow with, something I can be confident in.
Colton Fly Fishing! has the best rods and reels and are in your price range. Albright also has some really spectactular deals on rods, namely the xx andthe A5
Old 05-28-2009, 04:06 PM

Being that I am a beginner, I have been told to stay away from 'fast action' rods, and go with a moderate- moderate/fast rod. The Coltons...wich they sound awesome, are a fast action rod. The Albrights did have some good deals, the Topwater rods especially, might snatch one up for a lighter wt, like a 3wt. I showed them to a buddy, and i think he is going to get one.
I am really leaning on the Sage Launch, and the St.Croix Avid or Triumph, or an Orvis Clearwater II. Anyone have anything to say about Reddington? I understand Sage owns Reddington.