The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 12:40 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 10' rod vs 9' rod... I need some rod guru help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
I have a Sage that I really liked as a 9' rod. I bought a 9'6" Sage in the same line and the tip is too soft. I am afraid it is one of those rods that the manufacture just added 6" to their standard 9' rod.
Frank,

it's pretty common in my experience that the length always has significant effect on the action. It wouldn't be very practical to try and make a 10'er feel that similar to a 9'er because of the excessive amount of material it would require to make the longer rod emulate the shorter. From a sales perspective, it's a fine tuning point for folks who have very specific desires regarding the feel of the rods they buy, especially in the $400+ market. +/- 6" won't have a huge effect on where a rod will perform well, but it will make a genuine difference in action.

I generally like the med and med-fast tapers slightly short because they are just a whisker crisper and have tighter recovery, and faster tapers just a tad long to get the extra flex in the tip. I fished several 9' TCR's and really wasn't very fond of how they handled... then fished a 9'6" and absolutely love the little bit of extra soul the additional flex in the tip has.

I have found that this applies with all of the major manufacturers that I have had significant exposure to (Sage, St. Croix, Winston, Scott, Diamondback...). I don't think the 'the manufacture just added 6" to their standard 9' rod' is on target in this regard. It's not a flaw, it's just physics.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 06-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN View Post
I guess you just don't get Yankee humor... or our 'melting pot' demographics.
I do indeed. Although I suppose ourSATX "melting pot" might be more accurately called "Queso Fundido" Queso Fundido - VittleAnte | Recipes & cooking tips for authentic food made right

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:31 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Fun Thread... Thanks everybody...

I too, agreed with JBBfly (sorry BIG 3 to 1 :^) )

The basic reason was I am a fan of Scott.. But after reading this thread I actually shouldn't have sold that 10' z and used it a few more times to figure out the pressure...

I am learning high-sticking and the extra 1' really does make a touch and feel difference.

And Frank does hit the nail on the head. My issue is, I want to also fish the rod before I spend $800 on it. I have only found one rep that allowed me to fish 3 rods in one day.. That rep was a St. Couix

Now I am bummed by those that say the Scott 10' G2 could be a noodle... I liked that Z a bunch but liked the Scott better because of my ability to land fish.

So what I need to do is start looking at rods designed to be longer rods not the average 9' trout rod.. Will Scott's faster rods like S4 be better at 10' to 11'?"

thanks
CritterGetter
Old 06-04-2009, 07:33 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I'll actually disagree that the rod length likely had more to do with it. That extra foot of rod adds a good bit of challenge when trying to grab the leader and all that. It also gives the fish more leverage against you.

I'm a huge fan of Scott's G2 rods, and of 10' rods for nymphing and large rivers, but I wouldn't give over $50 for a 10' G2. I think to be practical, a 10' trout rod needs to be both fairly fast action, and quite light. The Z-Axis is about the perfect mix of this.

Adding a foot of length to a given fly rod always slows down its action, and I think a G2 is plenty slow to begin with.

If a long limber rod is indeed what you're after, check this out- Tenkara USA I'm thinking pretty seriously about taking the plunge myself soon.
BIG... This rod is way to far out there for me... I like the idea and maybe you can pack it while using another rod... but Dude this is out there.. :^)
Old 06-05-2009, 12:10 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post
The basic reason was I am a fan of Scott.. But after reading this thread I actually shouldn't have sold that 10' z and used it a few more times to figure out the pressure...
Probably... kinda like getting used to a new motorcycle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post
Now I am bummed by those that say the Scott 10' G2 could be a noodle... I liked that Z a bunch but liked the Scott better because of my ability to land fish.

So what I need to do is start looking at rods designed to be longer rods not the average 9' trout rod.. Will Scott's faster rods like S4 be better at 10' to 11'?"
I think your heading the wrong way... if the faster characteristics of the Z-Axis were an obstacle, the S4 will be even worse... at least that's my best guess. The S4 in my hand feels quite a bit quicker than the Z-Axis.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 06-05-2009, 11:31 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Joan Wulff casting a Tenkara rod: CLICK HERE

I never really thought about tapers until I bought a bamboo rod. One of these
days I'll have to take a mic to some of my rods, but I suspect that the better
rods are designed with a different taper. The topic here is 9' or 10', but what
about rods that are 8' and 9' (same model and line weight)? Surely they don't
just add 12 inches to the tip....I HOPE