The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 12:11 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice
Default 10' rod vs 9' rod... I need some rod guru help

So now I have a question for those that know more than me.. (which is a majority of those that post on this site)

I love my G2 9' rod. I tried a 10' Z-axis nymphing. I had an enlightened moment with the Z where the weight of the tip of the rod loosened. I set the hook and fish on..

So now my question... I can catch and land nearly 100% of the fish in my 9' G2 Scott but with the 10' Z I could only land about 25%. What was I doing wrong? Was it 10' rod? in other words a 10' G2 would give me the same issue as the 10' Z or was it because the difference in the action of the Z over the G2.

I am debating purchasing a new G2 10' but it kills me to spend new prices and I have never seen a 10' G2 or 10' scott for sale used anywhere.

So help me out on thoughts on the longer rods for trout.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10' rod vs 9' rod... I need some rod guru help

I think the length of the rod has nothing to do with the matter...You're used to the Scott and not to the Sage whose actions are quite different so it's not surprising you couldn't land fish..you've only tried it once so maybe it was a day when....trout had "soft mouth" that's what we say in french...
I never use short rods even in small and overgrown creeks and I'm a Scott fan...so you know my answer...
Old 05-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'll actually disagree that the rod length likely had more to do with it. That extra foot of rod adds a good bit of challenge when trying to grab the leader and all that. It also gives the fish more leverage against you.

I'm a huge fan of Scott's G2 rods, and of 10' rods for nymphing and large rivers, but I wouldn't give over $50 for a 10' G2. I think to be practical, a 10' trout rod needs to be both fairly fast action, and quite light. The Z-Axis is about the perfect mix of this.

Adding a foot of length to a given fly rod always slows down its action, and I think a G2 is plenty slow to begin with.

If a long limber rod is indeed what you're after, check this out- Tenkara USA I'm thinking pretty seriously about taking the plunge myself soon.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:36 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I'll actually disagree that the rod length likely had more to do with it. That extra foot of rod adds a good bit of challenge when trying to grab the leader and all that. It also gives the fish more leverage against you.
Maybe more difficult 'at the boot', but I'm not reading the OP as having gotten them that close. I'll bet it was action... if you're used to a G2, then your perception of the 'fish on' load and subsequent pressure you applied with the Z in hand was probably skewed... it's a pretty common phenomenon when anglers fish rods that are stiffer than what they are used to. I let the biggest Kennebago Brook Trout I've ever stuck roll off last year because I wasn't applying enough pressure... at the time I was fishing a TCR, where I mostly fish far more moderate rods like the SLT. Either of the rods mentioned will land fish reliably.

If you want to have some real long rod fun, get a 6126-4 Z-Axis spey for trout... mine lands fish just fine :-)

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 05-31-2009, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

latest score:jbbfly+grn 2 /Bigcliff 1
Old 06-01-2009, 12:52 AM

C'mon... somebody help me out here... I don't want to be the ONLY one agreeing w/ a Frenchman!

Old 06-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN View Post
C'mon... somebody help me out here... I don't want to be the ONLY one agreeing w/ a Frenchman!
Sir, that's rude.

But you made the bed, now you'll lie in it.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Going to a 9'6" or 10' rod makes it very important that you cast the rod first or buy it where you can return it. The rod action has a lot to do with how the rod was designed. If the designer just adds 6" or 1' to a standard rod then the tip will be a noodle. If the rod is designed to be a 10' rod from the git go then it may be a very nice rod. I have a Sage that I really liked as a 9' rod. I bought a 9'6" Sage in the same line and the tip is too soft. I am afraid it is one of those rods that the manufacture just added 6" to their standard 9' rod.

So I think it is mandatory that you cast the 10' G2 before you buy it. The 9' G2 has a slow action and I would be afraid another 1' will make it a noodle rod. Don't know that but that is my guess.

Frank
Old 06-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sir, that's rude.

This time I have to agree with Bigcliff so Tie!!!
Frank is the wisest on the forum,follow his advice
Old 06-02-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Sir, that's rude.

I guess you just don't get Yankee humor... or our 'melting pot' demographics.