The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 06:10 PM

bwofish is on a distinguished road
Default All-Around Rod?

Looking to get my first real rod, I've used a hammy down rod for awhile and need a better one, looking to spend around $175. I fish in eastern PA so most streams are small. I mainly nymph but would still like flexibility to fish dries.

Right now I'm looking at a 9' wt TFO finesse series rod. Anybody use it or have other recommendations?
Old 01-25-2011, 06:23 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice
Default Re: All-Around Rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwofish View Post
Looking to get my first real rod, I've used a hammy down rod for awhile and need a better one, looking to spend around $175. I fish in eastern PA so most streams are small. I mainly nymph but would still like flexibility to fish dries.

Right now I'm looking at a 9' wt TFO finesse series rod. Anybody use it or have other recommendations?
We need far more info. Are you looking for a all-around trout rod, or all species? Also, the only thing you listed on the rod you asked about was length. If your looking for an all around eastern trout rod I would suggest an 8 1/2 foot 5 weight. It still has enough length for mending on bigger waters, will throw in the wind, and can occasionally handle smaller streamers. A Good place to start would be the Cortland Brook at 189 or Grays GRXI at 169. I've heard (never fished) that the Reddington Classic Trout is a good value rod too. These rods will also handle smaller bass flies if your casting skills are up to it.

As far as an all around all species rod, this works about as well as an all round golf club.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
We need far more info. Are you looking for a all-around trout rod, or all species? Also, the only thing you listed on the rod you asked about was length. If your looking for an all around eastern trout rod I would suggest an 8 1/2 foot 5 weight. It still has enough length for mending on bigger waters, will throw in the wind, and can occasionally handle smaller streamers. A Good place to start would be the Cortland Brook at 189 or Grays GRXI at 169. I've heard (never fished) that the Reddington Classic Trout is a good value rod too. These rods will also handle smaller bass flies if your casting skills are up to it.

As far as an all around all species rod, this works about as well as an all round golf club.
this will be just for trout. Also I'll mainly be high-sticking nymphs so that's why I'd prefer the 9' over the 8 1/2. Even though I mainly want to nymph I still want flexibility to throw dries.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:53 PM

rmorrison is on a distinguished road

I've got a Chico era Powell 9' 5-6 wt I'll sell you including shipping for $175. It is a lovely (not to mention historic) moderate action rod that would fill the needs you describe admirably.
Rich
Old 01-25-2011, 06:55 PM

^ sorry but I'd prefer a new rod. There is a fly fishing expo up here at Valley Forge in March where I'm going to try out some rods, I'd just like to know what I should be looking for and trying out.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:18 PM

rmorrison is on a distinguished road

Buying a new graphite rod is like buying a new car...as soon as you take ownership it loses 30% of it's value no matter what you paid. There are so many brand new/new condition graphite rods out there that you can get easily get WAY more rod for the money if you don't buy a "new one". Now to be fair I am not a fan of the lighter faster newer is better crowd - nor am I a bamboo is the only thing to fish guy. But I prefer moderately fast action (usually found in older rods) if I'm fishing graphite. I'm just sayin' if you do a little homework - including casting some rods at the expo and then looking for them used - you can get a $300 to $350 rod for $175 easy.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:38 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

echo carbon 9 ft 5 wt, your price new and a good rod.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:22 PM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about

All around rod for multi species is a 9' 6wt, love it. I like moderate fast action too but it also depends what I'm flingin' I use it for bass all the way to bluegill. you should definitely stay in the 5-6wts for sure IMO. And like previously stated, you can easily get a great deal on a like-new rod, that will perform jus as well as the new one. Some used rods even carry warranty when traded.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:07 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Recommend you contact Justin at Allen before you buy. He is offering leading edge technology to FORUM members at prices within your range, along with a guarantee as good as it gets.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:56 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

You should be able to find a St. Croix Imperial very close to your price range. But your first task should be test casting as many rods in your range as possible. What I like, you might hate. Everyone has their preference; including you.

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

You should be able to find a St. Croix Imperial very close to your price range. But your first task should be test casting as many rods in your range as possible. What I like, you might hate. Everyone has their preference.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark