The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 03:54 PM

Scott Spencer is on a distinguished road
Default Determining the wt of an old bamboo rod?

I have my dad's bamboo fly rod from around 1950 and it was so heavily used he wound up rebuilding it about 20 yrs ago. Anyway, all information on the rod is gone and I have no idea how to determine the correct size fly line to fish with it. I realize the value is probably gone with the info missing but I am not looking to ever get rid of it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Determining the wt of an old bamboo rod?

The easiest way is to test it with different lines....the most common bamboo rods are usually 4 or 5 wt I think.If you gave the lenght of the rod it would help...
Old 06-02-2009, 04:59 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

Try a 5 and 6 weight line, you can work down or up from there.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:59 PM

Hi fellas -

Sorry for leaving the length out in the original post. It is a 3 piece (with a spare tip making it 4 total pieces) 8'6" rod. The Martin Mohawk 48 automatic I have of my dad's (no line on it) has what I would call a "reminder" sticker on it with L-6-F. I cannot tell if that is what he used with the bamboo rod or not.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and I believe it will be a 4 or 5 wt rod as all have suggested.

Scott
Old 06-03-2009, 01:34 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

yeah, i don't think there were many 4wt bamboo rods out there back then so i would go with a 5 or 6wt for trial. keep in mind most rods, even bamboo, can be fished with a couple different sized lines. it all depends on your typical fishing distances. might even try a 7wt if the 6 doesn't work out so well.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Scott,

I was working at a shop in the early 50's. The predominate bamboo rod of the day was 8'6" 6wt. I would start with a 6wt. This was the rod size that Ted Trueblood and A. J. McClane were recommending.

Frank
Old 06-03-2009, 05:08 PM

Thanks, Eric and Frank. I have no idea if it is any good but I thought about trying Cortland's 333 Sylk line with it. The 6 should work like a 5 wt since the sylk line is suppose to be thin for size.

I was going through a bunch of fishing gear of my dad's and found that it is a Phillipson fly rod. Probably not an expensive rod but at least I am finding out more the more I dig around.

Again, thank you all for the information.

Scott
Old 06-03-2009, 05:39 PM

I decided to take some photos of the rod and aluminum case.

Click the image to open in full size.

This image has a faint "88" on the rod.

This image has a faint portion of a signature (eligible)

The tube
Old 06-03-2009, 09:00 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

A Phillipson 8.6" rod would have been a 6 wt in the early 50's.... and it still is more than likely best fished with a 6DT. Although on my 8.6 Phillipson Paragon...I use a Cortland Peach WF6F and am really happy with the way it fishes. Some will use a DT5F. Each rod is a bit different, but that length Phillipson was definitly rated for a 6wt.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:04 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

Just another thought. If you decide to use Sylk line...get the DT6F for the Phillipson. I use the Sylk DT5F on an 8.6 Granger and it is great, but not so much on the Phillipson. The Sylk seems lighter to me than regular DT line and I have found that my Phillipson like a bit more weight to cast well.