The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 12:51 PM

jo2011 is on a distinguished road
Default Need advice For a Rod 7WT?

Ok folks I am currently a still water fisherman fishing for panfish and bass. I own two modern flyrods a z axis 4 weight and a stowaway 7 4 weight. I also own an old browning 686 fiberglass ..a guess its a 6 weight?.

I am going to expand my horizens...in my area there is decent steelie fishing (NW Indiana) so I would like a rod that could handle that. I also have been thinking of going Smallmouth fishing in Michigan. I think many use a 6 weight for that. Can I do both with one rod? Would a 7 weight be the answer?

Please advise me on specific rods I should look at for the above. Also what rods are used for Redfish? On occasion I go to South Carolina to visit I have been thinking to trying that aswell.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice For a Rod 7WT?

I bought a Scierra HM2 11ft #7 to fish in reservoirs,it's a nice and good rod,with a beautiful carbon tube, I caught nice fish on it.I bought it on sale on e bay like many other rods for about $150,so it's a rod I would recommend.
A friend of mine has got a Scott A2 10#7 It's a great rod too and there are some on sale.Here's what they say about mine.Hope it can help.

World casting champion Hywel Morgan and his team were given the task of developing a series of fly rods second to none in the world with no compromise as materials or cost. A fly rod that would cast farther, create tighter more controlled loopswith pinpoint precision at any distance. Working closely, Hywel and the team have designed, developed and refined a revolutionary production process, using a new vacuum oven process to produce a stronger, lighter more powerful blank. This technology is mainly used in the Aerospace industry to achieve a much tighter bonded stronger yet lighter carbon product that has never been possible. Now after extensive field testing the new HM2 series of rods is ready to be unveiled. "The best distance casting rod I've ever used" - Hywel Morgan World Distance Casting Champion
Old 06-09-2009, 08:43 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about

I have an 8wt I use for steelies and salt. It's a Bass Pro CV2 (was on sale) and it casts very well (that's why I bought it.)
I have used it for smallies too when throwing big deerhair flies and it works very well but is probably a bit big in my opinion. I usually use a 4 wt for smallies and don't have a problem bringing in 2 and 3 pounders.
I think your 7 wt idea is right on. I do know of several guys who fish 7 wts for steelies and they are probably perfect for tossing steelhead flies and maybe a few spey flies...
I see nothing wrong with a 7 wt for smallies either, especially if you get into some 17+ inch fish...
If you are like me and use lighter equiptment than most people, a 7 wt would work for most redfish too. I use the 8 wt but you can get away with a good 7 wt.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:16 AM

jo2011 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Twospots, I was hoping & weight would be the way to go.

I have been hoping some more angles would jump in and give me some spefics rods to look at. I am ignorant of big rods, and so many manufactors make several models with repeating weights..I really am clueless as to which may be best for my application or which rods are broomsticks and which rods people really like. In other words what rods are the standouts in the 7 weight class? I hate buying the wrong stuff...and because iam ignorant and there are not an abundance of flyfisherman in my area I need help.
Other than you folks my only resources is the guy at Cabelas, and they guy at Bass Pro...