The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 02:38 PM

fraserdave is on a distinguished road
Default Dedicated streamer rod

Hello, this is my first opportunity to post on this board. I am thinking about adding a rod to my collection to be a dedicated streamer rod. I am thinking about possibly a 9' -6 weight with a streamer express sink tip line. What is everyone's opinion on a rod? I already have a Orvis T3 9'- 7 weight that I use for throwing big bass hair poppers and for some steelheading. I know that would work but it has a fighting butt and is not the lightest thing in the world (read that as tiring to cast a lot) that is why I was thinking about the 6. Thanks!
Old 06-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dedicated streamer rod

fraserdave: Your line of thinking is exactly what I'm thinking of doing also. I floated the South Fork of the Snake River with Davo a couple of weeks ago and my Orvis TLS 5 wt, 9.5 tip flex is a little light for throwing streamers and I also want the express sink tip line as the name of the game is getting the fly down fast.

Larry
Old 06-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

A 150 grain integrated sink tip will do the job fairly well and will cast well on a 5wt. I recently saw some ECHO Classic 9' 5wt's on eBay supa cheap. Its a great rod that will throw that line really well.

Checked, only one up now, for $89

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:21 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Saw some guys using Sage's Bluegill rod setup.With 230 gr. line. They love it for chucking big streamers.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Dave,

Save the dough, fish the 7wt. Don't worry about those extra 2 ounces, if your stripping streamers you are not fishing for 12" fish. I use a 9' 7wt. when I'm looking for big trout. I don't use sink tip lines, I go with longer leaders for running deep and a 24" lead head spliced in half way with 12 lb. test floro as the lightest leader material. I only use the lead head if I need to get down past three feet of depth.

Sink tips mess with the action that you can impart to the fly. A floating line and a sunk fly allow for the combination of up-current mending for allowing sink time followed by down stream mends and a deadly cross current greased line retrieve.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;