The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Opinions please (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/9868-opinions-please.html)

axle27 06-08-2009 08:47 PM

Opinions please

As if I could stop you...just kidding.

Sage FLi or St. Croix Avid.

Both in 3wt, 7ft. long. Same price.

I love my 4wt Avid....but I'd like to hear from the experienced masses...

pdq 5oh 06-09-2009 06:29 AM

Re: Opinions please

When I bought my 4 wt (given to my wife) and 8 wt Sage Launch rods, I also cast the Fli. For my casting style I preferred the Launch. The Fli is a faster rod than the Launch or Avid. I gave my son a 4 wt and 6 wt Avid. Again, for my casting stroke the Avid works better. I like the grip on the Avid better than either of the Sage rods, too. Lastly, the Fli felt heavier in the hand than either of the other rods.

BigCliff 06-09-2009 08:04 AM

I would expect the Avid to be a bit softer, which should do a bit better in close casting situations where that rod would be ideal. And I'll testify that I'm suprised by how light my 8' 5wt Avid is every time I pull it out.

But if I was looking for that kind of rod, I'd go up to 7'6", or to fiberglass.

FrankB2 06-09-2009 08:09 AM

My only experience with FLi's has been 5wt and up. Stiff as a plank. I owned
an Avid 5wt, and have wiggled all the others. The 3wt Avid is a very responsive rod, and I'm debating whether or not to buy one at 30% off
locally. That Avid is a 7'9", however. Nice rod!

axle27 06-09-2009 08:30 AM

Thanx for the input.

My reasoning is this on the 7ft. length. I already have a St. Croix LU in 2wt, 7ft 6in. I purchased this rod just for panfish. I could use it in small spring creeks, but I wanted something a bit shorter as distance is not necessary.

As a side note, I was out in the backyard the last few nights practicing. Last night, I put out a couple of the kid's hoola hoops at approx 45 and 50 ft (didn't measure it off, just tossed them in a few places in the yard). I was working on accuracy at that distance. I didn't do bad. I did, however, find out a few things:

I can, most definately, cast the 9' 5wt Quarrow Big Horn way better than my St. Croix old model Imperial of the same length/wt. It is night and day. After working on my casting mechanics (not that they are really any good, but I work with what I know), I could get the "fly" in the farthest hoop from pickup through shooting. I was pretty happy. I could do it with the Imperial, but it seemed more work. The Quarrow is definately a bit slower and I could load it better.

The 8ft 4wt Avid took a few casts to adjust to the fact that I didn't have the extra 12", but I could get it there, also. The WF4F did well, but it really shined with the WF5F. I had to lengthen my stroke to keep all that line moving how I want it.

I definately like the Avid as it, too, is a bit slower. Perhaps I'm a bit heavy handed, but I feel that I can cast the 4 or 5wts better than my 2.

axle27 06-11-2009 11:53 AM

How about a Cortland Brook in the same size and wt?

Hardyreels 06-11-2009 02:16 PM

Hey, I didn't know that you had became part of the Quarrow Big Horn cult! You know that I have two of them and my 9' 7wt. is a regular launch pad for even weighted 1/0 salmon flies plus split shot. I would go with the St Croix.

jpbfly 06-11-2009 02:27 PM

I can, most definately, cast the 9' 5wt Quarrow Big Horn way better than my St. Croix old model Imperial of the same length/wt. It is night and day:rolleyes:
Hey, I didn't know that you had became part of the Quarrow Big Horn cult! You know that I have two of them and my 9' 7wt. is a regular launch pad for even weighted 1/0 salmon flies plus split shot:rolleyes:
Hi guys!you're going to convince me to buy one:icon_lol:

axle27 06-11-2009 02:32 PM

Ard,

Yep, I think I got it last fall. Did some initail lawn casting and I liked it. I have somewhat limited ability, so I can't say I was "amazed", but I could feel the difference. Bought it on your advisement. I think Cliff got one too.

jbbfly,

Do not hesitate. Since I really don't have the cash to throw around for expensive gear, I took a chance on Ard's recommendation and got one. I love this rod and is my "go to" for intermediate trout streams where I mostly fish. It'll be with me when I go again in a few weeks.