The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 08:47 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Opinions please

As if I could stop you...just kidding.

Sage FLi or St. Croix Avid.

Both in 3wt, 7ft. long. Same price.

I love my 4wt Avid....but I'd like to hear from the experienced masses...
Old 06-09-2009, 06:29 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Opinions please

When I bought my 4 wt (given to my wife) and 8 wt Sage Launch rods, I also cast the Fli. For my casting style I preferred the Launch. The Fli is a faster rod than the Launch or Avid. I gave my son a 4 wt and 6 wt Avid. Again, for my casting stroke the Avid works better. I like the grip on the Avid better than either of the Sage rods, too. Lastly, the Fli felt heavier in the hand than either of the other rods.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I would expect the Avid to be a bit softer, which should do a bit better in close casting situations where that rod would be ideal. And I'll testify that I'm suprised by how light my 8' 5wt Avid is every time I pull it out.

But if I was looking for that kind of rod, I'd go up to 7'6", or to fiberglass.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:09 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

My only experience with FLi's has been 5wt and up. Stiff as a plank. I owned
an Avid 5wt, and have wiggled all the others. The 3wt Avid is a very responsive rod, and I'm debating whether or not to buy one at 30% off
locally. That Avid is a 7'9", however. Nice rod!
Old 06-09-2009, 08:30 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Thanx for the input.

My reasoning is this on the 7ft. length. I already have a St. Croix LU in 2wt, 7ft 6in. I purchased this rod just for panfish. I could use it in small spring creeks, but I wanted something a bit shorter as distance is not necessary.

As a side note, I was out in the backyard the last few nights practicing. Last night, I put out a couple of the kid's hoola hoops at approx 45 and 50 ft (didn't measure it off, just tossed them in a few places in the yard). I was working on accuracy at that distance. I didn't do bad. I did, however, find out a few things:

I can, most definately, cast the 9' 5wt Quarrow Big Horn way better than my St. Croix old model Imperial of the same length/wt. It is night and day. After working on my casting mechanics (not that they are really any good, but I work with what I know), I could get the "fly" in the farthest hoop from pickup through shooting. I was pretty happy. I could do it with the Imperial, but it seemed more work. The Quarrow is definately a bit slower and I could load it better.

The 8ft 4wt Avid took a few casts to adjust to the fact that I didn't have the extra 12", but I could get it there, also. The WF4F did well, but it really shined with the WF5F. I had to lengthen my stroke to keep all that line moving how I want it.

I definately like the Avid as it, too, is a bit slower. Perhaps I'm a bit heavy handed, but I feel that I can cast the 4 or 5wts better than my 2.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:53 AM

How about a Cortland Brook in the same size and wt?
Old 06-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey, I didn't know that you had became part of the Quarrow Big Horn cult! You know that I have two of them and my 9' 7wt. is a regular launch pad for even weighted 1/0 salmon flies plus split shot. I would go with the St Croix.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I can, most definately, cast the 9' 5wt Quarrow Big Horn way better than my St. Croix old model Imperial of the same length/wt. It is night and day
Hey, I didn't know that you had became part of the Quarrow Big Horn cult! You know that I have two of them and my 9' 7wt. is a regular launch pad for even weighted 1/0 salmon flies plus split shot
Hi guys!you're going to convince me to buy one
Old 06-11-2009, 02:32 PM

Ard,

Yep, I think I got it last fall. Did some initail lawn casting and I liked it. I have somewhat limited ability, so I can't say I was "amazed", but I could feel the difference. Bought it on your advisement. I think Cliff got one too.

jbbfly,

Do not hesitate. Since I really don't have the cash to throw around for expensive gear, I took a chance on Ard's recommendation and got one. I love this rod and is my "go to" for intermediate trout streams where I mostly fish. It'll be with me when I go again in a few weeks.