The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 10:50 AM

donoo is on a distinguished road
Default 1 or 2 wt. experiences

I love to fish small creeks and tributaries for brookies, browns, and cuts. Many of these areas are brushy with a small margin for casting errors. I've always wanted to get an ultra lightweight rig (1 or 2 wt.) and am partial to Winston and Sage rods. Reels? Lines? Looking for advise and experiences for this type of fishing with these ultralight rods and reels. Thank You!
donoo
Old 06-10-2009, 11:51 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: 1 or 2 wt. experiences

I have a 7'6" St. Croix Legend Ultra in 2wt. I bought it mainly for panfish or small creeks. It makes the smallest fish more fun to catch. Catching the same size on a 4wt is not nearly as much fun.

For a reel, I bought a used Cortland 55 with (2) extra spools. I have a WF on one and a DT on the other, tho I use the WF more. Ultra lights are damn fun to fish with.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:00 PM

elisasound is on a distinguished road

I'm a big fan of that St Croix rod. Definitely up there for 2wt rods IMHO. I definitely prefer fishing ultralight rods when I can. Here in Central Ohio, its a must for all the panfish and bass we have in our waters!

The FlyfishOhio website will be publishing a 2 wt shootout in the next week or so that you should check out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
I have a 7'6" St. Croix Legend Ultra in 2wt. I bought it mainly for panfish or small creeks. It makes the smallest fish more fun to catch. Catching the same size on a 4wt is not nearly as much fun.

For a reel, I bought a used Cortland 55 with (2) extra spools. I have a WF on one and a DT on the other, tho I use the WF more. Ultra lights are damn fun to fish with.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

donoo: You might want to read the thread below for personal experience by FlyRichardFly with an Orvis Superfine 1-wt rod.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-wt-10544.html

Larry
Old 06-10-2009, 06:49 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Truly light is now defined by a sage 00. Great for brushy creek sneaking. Silly small but very castible.
Having said that, if you under rod a fish it's a one sided conversation. Too light a rod overstresses a fish. If you may stick a larger fish, use a bigger rod.
Pan fish on super lite tackle are still a hoot.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:28 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Well if you are partial to Sage and Winston I would say to try out a Sage TXL. I have been fishing ultralights for some time and I find the TXL to be an excellent rod. I also like the Orvis Superfine 1WT rod and fish that quite often as well. My TXL is the 000710-3 or 000WT version. I fish that rod and my 1WT 95% of the time as I usually fish my heavier gear in the winter when the small creeks are. I have been lucky the past couple of years, and have managed to maintain an average of fishing every 8 days.

I have fished my UL gear for bigger fish and I donít see a problem with it as long as it is done correctly. Most of the people that suggest that you canít fish for larger fish on UL gear have obviously never tried it. Donít get me wrong I would never take my 000WT salmon fishing but you can have a seriously great time with UL gear and larger fish.

For the reels I chose a Galvan OB-1 for my TXL and a CFO I for my superfine. The Galvan is a bit heavy which I donít mind but man does it have a great drag system. The CFO is a great reel as well and I have no complaints about it. The biggest thing that I would suggest is go out and cast some and see what you like and go for it!

Here are a couple of links that I found about the myths of ultralight fly fishing. It is pretty funny because I have heard almost all of them.

Some common myths about ultralight fly fishing explained by Bill Byrd

Some more myths about ultralight fly fishing explained by Bill Byrd
Old 06-11-2009, 05:21 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I've been fishing a 1 wt rod for about 85% of my fishing for the last 10 or so years and haven't had any problems or issues.

Regarding overstressing fish, quite honestly I see that more in folks who use heavier equipment and are afraid of "breaking him off".

If you'd like to give it a try with minimal investment, you may want to take a look at here, I think these rods provide a very good value -

global dorbeR group

You can find a wealth of information on this site as well -

http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 06-11-2009, 07:17 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Having 1, 2 and 3 weight rods and fishing quite a bit up the Carolina mountains to find skinny, clear water, I find the two lightest rods gathering dust. I use the 3's on rare occasions but find I have a lot more options open with a 4 weight and above.
Though darn near impossible to find by todays major plastic rod builders (until marketing needs that next big thing that is!) short rods with some spine are what I'm looking for.
I've found some blanks that fall in the short rod/5-6 weight category and plan on wrapping one or two up this winter.
When manufacturers built rods like this back-in-the-day, the folks around the small streams in the Appalachians loved them for tossing big, hairy flies and hopper-dropper rigs. They also knew they didn't have to head home if the wind gusts peaked at 3 MPH!