The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 09:18 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default Orvis Clearwater II

Anyone using a Clearwater? I have narrowed my choices down to a Echo Carbon, 8' 4wt 4pc, or an Orvis Clearwater II, 8'6" 4wt, 4pc(love the warranty). My first choice is the Orvis. Any comments are appreciated.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:17 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Orvis Clearwater II

I use the 906-4 mid flex as my client rods. I've fished them myself quite a bit and really like them. They are very easy casting rods that accomodate a full range of casting styles.

Heres a couple of threads for you to check out.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-rod-5843.html

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-5-a-4811.html

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-12-2009, 10:33 PM

TeddyBallgame09 is on a distinguished road

The Orvis store near me is still running the $150 off Clearwater II outift special.
The price for the rod, a Battenkill BBS reel (VERY SWEET REEL) line and leader (I think) is only $250....and with the $25 off any purchase of $50 or more coupons, you may do even better!

Good luck...the folks @ Orvis have always been top-notch in my book....not pushy with the sales pitch and MORE than willing to share intel RE: fishing.
Good luck...let us know which direction you decide.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:45 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

I have one in my inventory although it is a 909-4 so comparing it with a 4WT would be apples to oranges. It is a good rod for the few times that I use it each year. I have a MA Battenkill V reel with Rio Anadromous Advantage line. I consider it a good stick for the price I got it for new.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:35 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Been kicking the thought around for a Clearwater in 3wt.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:56 AM

Bakerloo is on a distinguished road

I don't have the rod you asked about, but I do have an original
Clearwater 8'6" 5wt and 7'9" 5wt. Orvis Clearwater rods are overlooked and underappreciated.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:28 AM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

I just bought a Clearwater II, 5 wieght, 7.5 feet. its an awesome rod. i also bought the new orvis wonderline. it casts perfectly.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:21 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

I have a Orvis Clearwater that I have had since around 2001. I have the 8.5' 5 wt model and it is a great rod. I bought it as a package deal and my only dislike is the clearwater reel that came with it but I am finally about to get around to upgrading that. You can not go wrong with Orvis...top notch quality and the warranty is amazing.
Tuck
Old 06-17-2009, 09:35 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

All I have heard is good things about Orvis, its quality, and its warranty. So i guess the search is over, so to speak. I wont be buying the package deal, but i am considering the Battenkill Bar Stock in titanium to go with the rod, and probably some wonderline as well.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:18 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnflyfish View Post
All I have heard is good things about Orvis, its quality, and its warranty. So i guess the search is over, so to speak. I wont be buying the package deal, but i am considering the Battenkill Bar Stock in titanium to go with the rod, and probably some wonderline as well.
When I bought mine I was able to make a reel substitution. Call the catalog # and ask what the difference would be for the reel substitution on the combo and they figure it out. might save you a little over buying seperate.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures