The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 05:20 PM

adams14 is on a distinguished road
Default Cortland Blue Saphire.

I was working next to an old fishing buddy today. Upon hearing that I was hitting the trout water again, he made an observation. He still has a Blue Saphire 5/6 wt that I was in love with a few years ago. He had to rub it in and inform me that it has been in the case ever since the trip I used it on. Seems he has his eye on a Sage and would part with the Saphire if I was interested. It's in excellent shape,even the handle. What would be a fair price for one of these?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:01 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cortland Blue Saphire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams14 View Post
I was working next to an old fishing buddy today. Upon hearing that I was hitting the trout water again, he made an observation. He still has a Blue Saphire 5/6 wt that I was in love with a few years ago. He had to rub it in and inform me that it has been in the case ever since the trip I used it on. Seems he has his eye on a Sage and would part with the Saphire if I was interested. It's in excellent shape,even the handle. What would be a fair price for one of these?
Whatever you're willing to pay for it. They were discontinued in 1998. Supposed to have been one of Cortlands best at the time. But remember, that's a lifetime ago in fly rod technology (and that's not at all bad). Maybe Burke might know.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:21 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I don't go that far back with Cortland. They might have been a Diamondback make up ( I believe that was before the purchase). And I know they've had rods made in England and New Zealand. Cortland at one point imported Bamboo rods form England. I'll ask around.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 PM

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2011, 05:37 PM

Mooselaker is on a distinguished road

Blue Sapphires were Cortlands Top Line, Nice rods. IM6 Graphite With spiggot Ferrules, nickel silver hardware, and an excellent blue aluminum tube. I understand they cost close to $400 new. I have one, a 6'6" 2/3 which is a delight. I would compare to Winston LT or IM6 in action. If I could find one as you describe with sock & tube, I'd go $150 to $180; that's my best guess.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:09 PM

LeoCreek is on a distinguished road

The Blue Sapphire blanks were made for Cortland by Diamondback before the buyout I believe, and as previously mentioned they were Cortland's top of line at the time.

I'm not sure if they were the same taper as Diamondback's Classic Trout or Golden Shadow, but they were similar. The only factory rod I've ever seen in person belonged to a fellow I met on the river one day, and we swapped rods for a awhile. This was a 9' 5/6wt 4pc with spigot ferrules, and it was really a fine fishing and casting tool. Very smooth and sensitive, medium action, but plenty of deep reserve and able to roll on the power and make long casts when needed. Just a great all-around rod by any standards IMHO (today's or 15 years ago). It will cast a wide variety of 5wt and 6wt lines, depending on your needs and distance, and can perform finesse casts very well.

Anyway, I picked up 2 Blue Sapphire blanks, a 9' 5/6wt 4pc and a 7' 3/4wt 3pc (more of a 3wt probably, and will make a superb small stream rod). Beautiful straight high quality blanks with a really nice dark blue finish.

An excellent condition factory rod is probably worth $125 - $175, but in today's economy $100 - $150 is probably more realistic. If you don't end up picking up this rod from your friend, but he still wants to sell, please drop me a PM.

- Tom
Old 02-20-2011, 05:43 PM

Will do. He's on the fence about parting with it now. I'll keep track of it though.