The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 10:25 AM

kpp80202 is on a distinguished road
Default advice for second rod (have 5wt now)

I am new to fly fishing, and love it. I have a 9' 5wt fast action rod now (having learned to cast on a 9' 5wt moderate action rod) and would like something to throw bigger flies for bass, wiper (striped/white bass hybrid), and other fish that prefer flies in the larger than 10 size. Keep in mind, I'm talking about Colorado bass, not southeast US monster bass. I'm thinking a 7wt or 8wt would be the ticket, right?

Also, any opinions on the TFO--Jim Teeny rods in these weights? They are on sale locally, and I have a "bonus bucks" card which could put me into one of those pretty cheap (just over $100 ).

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:43 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: advice for second rod (have 5wt now)

A seven weight would be good but your 5 weight will do the job just fine. That being said I have 6 fly rods so take it for what that is worth.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

A 6 or 7wt will handle most bass flies just fine, but if you're going to be throwing larger floating flies, then an 8wt would be best. It will also handle 5" long soggy rabbit hide pike flies better as well.

Get a 4pc so you can carry it on a plane to go fish saltwater as well. (get a rrel that will hold up in the salt too, Sage's 1680 is a starting point)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:19 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

A TFO-Jim Teeny for just over a hundred. I don't think I'd hesitate. Can't give you a review at my level but can tell you that two experienced guys from my FF Club picked that rod for me and one got one for himself. Something interesting is the TFO-Jim Teeny 4 wt has a fighting butt.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:58 PM

kpp80202 is on a distinguished road

A 4wt fighting butt can come in handy for seriously voracious bluegill.

Jimmie--Just curious, what weight did you get?
Old 06-16-2009, 01:02 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

TFO-Jim Teeny is a 4 wt. I got a TFO-Lefty in an 8 wt.

I'll make sure that I plant that 4 wt fighting butt for some good photos, lol