The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap Pictures

Fly Swap Pictures View flies from past Fly Swaps.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Big Trout Streamer Swap, Fall 2011

Some great patterns were submitted for this swap, and no doubt we'll have some bruisers caught on these patterns in the coming months.

Thanks to all that participated in this one!

Zoo Cougar
by Aroostockbasser
Click the image to open in full size.

Circus Peanut
by Lancer09
Hooks: these were two 1/0 hooks that I used to use for bait fishing but they were perfect for thsi application
Tail:yellow marabou
Trailer body: 4 bunches olive craft fur tied in reverse or hollow style
Trailer flash: FTD flash, IDK name, lost the package, any would work.
Trailer collar: red antron dubbing
Connection: two pieces 20 pound mono
Front body: Palmered yellow marabou
Front head: spinning loop with three generous clumps olive craft fur.

Chubby Muffin
by Wovenstonefly

Drunken Sailor
by Dean_Mt
Hook: #4 3XL
Weighted with two strips of .35 lead wire, along one side of hooks
Head: White plastic craft bead
Body: White Antron yarn
Wing: White Marabou, tied Matuka-style
Collar: Dubbed White Antron

Yoda
by Watson
Articulated with stinger hooks a bead or two, flash, marabou, mallard, cactus chenille a little bit of weight and some dumbbell eyes.

Brookie Fry
By Pocono
Hook: Rangely streamer 8xl size 4
Thread: Danville Flymaster 6/0, Olive
Tail: Mini marabou, brown
Underbody: Uni Stretch , white
Body: Uni Mylar, blue, medium
Rib: UTC Tinsel, flat, gold, small
Counter rib: Softwire red, #30
Lower Body: Bucktail yellow, fluorescent orange, white (top to bottom)
Upper body: Bucktail black, olive (top to bottom)
Eye: Danville Flymaster 6/0, gold

Brown Woolly Bugger
by Famill09
Size 6 3XL 2XH Hook
10 wraps .030 lead
Marabou Tail (Two Fluffs)
Gold Flashabou for tail accent
Bugger Chenille
Hackle (Saddle)
Gold wire for rib

Muddled Bunny
by Mudbug

Flu Shot
by Tyler185
Hook: Size 4 4XL
Weight: Large gold cone head
Thread: UTC 70 denier (color to match fly)
Flash: Crystal Flash mixed in with marabou in the tail
Tail: Marabou (pick your color)
Body: Crosscut rabbit wrapped forward, then marabou wrapped forward, rabbit wrapped forward, marabou and rabbit one last time.
Collar: Chinese saddle hackle (pick your color)
Note from Tyler: You can play around with the colors a lot on this pattern and match what colors you think will work well together. This pattern has some great movement in the water and that's why I love it so much.

Mike’s Red Rocket
by S. fontinalis
Shannon (Stimulator2) posted an excellent, detailed description of the recipe and tying process on this page: Big Streamers for Trout Swap

Brown Sculpin
by Stimulator2
Hook: Mustad 9675 size 6
10 wraps .030 lead
Body: Golden Olive Dubbing
Rib: Flat Gold Tinsel
Wing: Cree Neck Hackle
Collar: Red yarn or Red dubbing
Fins: 2 Grouse Wing Feathers
Head: Whitetail Deer Body Hair(spun)
Markings: Black Prism Marker

Bruised Angus
(This is just a variation of Eric Leiser's "Black Angus". His pattern is tied with all black materials.)
by peregrines
Hook: 4xl streamer size 4
Thread: Black 6/0, switching to Black Flat Waxed Nylon for spinning deer hair head. Flat Waxed Nylon is stronger for applying more torque when spinning deer hair
Weight: Approximately 20 turns of .025” Non Toxic lead wire substitute on middle 1/3 of hook shank
Tail: 4 wine colored strung saddle feathers (2 on each side) and 2 strands (1 on each side) of Holographic Flashabou tied in by middle to form 2 strips of flash on each side.
Underbody: One strand of black 3 strand Acrylic yarn wrapped over rear 2/3 of hook shank, including over non-toxic wire wraps. Leave front 1/3 of hook shank bare wire. The yarn helps cover the wire wraps used to weight the fly and helps provide good seating for the stem of the marabou as it is wrapped. ) The original "Black Angus" used black floss, which is a bit fussier to wrap smoothly. The marabou wraps cover the body anyway, so the yarn or floss won't be very visible anyway.
Body: Work thread rearward over yarn body and tie in a black marabou plume by the tip. Wrap marabou plume forward around hook. Tie in 1 or 2 more marabou plumes as necessary to cover yarn on rear 2/3 of hook shank.
Throat: Purple marabou plume tied in as throat. After tying in throat, tie off 6/0 thread and start Flat Waxed thread.
Collar and head: Black dyed deer belly hair. Apply in several clumps over front 1/3 of hook shank, tie off thread and trim hair to bullet shape.

Last edited by peregrines; 10-07-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:51 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Big Trout Streamer Swap, Fall 2011

looking forward to getting mine in the mail. Hopefully here by this weekend so i can give them a throw at Delaware Trout!

Addicted To Vise
Old 09-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mark: Wow, those look like some awesome streamers, I can bet that they will be killer on the water this fall!

Larry

Old 09-27-2011, 08:55 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Very cool stuff, I can't wait.

I'll do a SXS on mine and drop a link here.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:34 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Not a bad one in the bunch, I can't wait to get mine.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:39 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Those look great i can't wait to get these i got just the fish to try these on some may remember my post (Heartbreaking Fish) well i might just break that fish with one of these..
Old 09-28-2011, 09:25 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

They all look awesome!
Old 10-04-2011, 08:59 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Got my flies yesterday and they all look awesome.
Hopefully this weekend i'll get out to throw a couple of them.

Thanks to everyone for participating and to Mark for hosting the swap.
Hope you all catch fish with the flies from the swap and i look forward to seeing some pictures in the near future.

The recipe for the pattern I tied (Red Rocket) is on page 8 of the original forum

I've recently tied them in black and orange and used bigger eyes than the flies i sent in for the swap. The possibilities for color combinations here are endless if anyone wants to have a go at tying some of their own.
They look much better with the bigger eyes, and the flies in the pic below are tied on single hooks linked to an articulated shank. I used these on special regulation waters where only one hook point is allowed.

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-04-2011, 11:52 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

That black one screams night time trout, and that brown and olive and brown one mixed would be the perfect thing for the sculpins i've seen here at taney, and the white river system.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:34 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Love it. Just a great swap, I feel under dressed! Honestly, I entered this one because I am not much of a streamer fisherman or tier, though I enjoy making them when I do.

There truly is not a bad one in the bunch here. Everyone of these flies is going to catch fish or get lost trying! I will put them all to the test.

What I like most about this bunch is the sheer variety - big and crazy (Circus Peanut), big and dark, big and light (the fly not pictured, Brent's Zoo Coug), articulated, flashy, traditional (love that Bucktail, Allen), and representational (great little sculpin, Shannon, I know exactly where I am going to fish that). A streamer for every occasion!