Wet Flies, Soft Hackles Swap, Spring 2013

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, here are the wet flies, soft hackles, flymphs and winged wets fly swap photos. I'm missing a few of the fly receipes, if you get the time please send them to me so I can update this thread. Thanks again for everyone that participated, for the extras and especially for those of you that donated your flies (they will be going to the Wyoming CFR program). Those gals are going to be thrilled when they see the quality of these flies! Now it's time to get this guys wet! Yahoo!

Sumojo....Olive Bumble

Hook-14
Tail-barred wood duck
Thread-olive 0/8
Body/hackle-Olive possum
Grizzly Hackle dyed olive palmered back
Rib-Gold tinsel
Hackle-Grouse dyed olive

Stenacron.....Diving Caddis

Hook: Mustad 3906, size 14
Thread: Olive, UTC 70
Hackle: 2.5 wraps of gray Hungarian Partridge, stripped on one side
Egg Sac: 1 strand of DMC 6-strand embroidery floss, olive #3051
Body: dubbed loop of Hareline Dubbin, Hare's Ear HD4 (Leisenring style)
Rib: 3-4 wraps of pearl Flashabou (wiggle the rib as to not trap the dubbed guard hairs)

Theboz....Ostrich Spider

Hook: Dai-Riki #12
Thread: Uni thread, black 8/0
Body: Peacock or Ostrich Herl
Rib: Mirage Tinsel Opal/Small
Tag: Maroon Yarn
Hackle: Brown

La_jolla1....Teal and Silver

Thread: UNI 8/0 red
Tail: Golden pheasant tippet
body: mylar tinsel with a touch of superglue
rib: oval tinsel or small silver wire if not glued
Hackle: rooster dyed kingfisher blue
wing: real Teal

Noreaster....Red Tag Variant

Thread: Red
Hook: Size 16 Partridge Flash Point 15BNX Kilinkhammer Extreme.
Tag; Red Uni-Yarn
Rib: Fine silver wire
Body: Peacock herl
Hackle: Secondary Jungle Cock Hackle(above the nails). Dark soft Grizzly could be used too.
Head: Purple Peacock Herl. The head is optional. Can be tied without.

Flytire....Sanctuary

Hook: Standard wet fly hook, size #8 to #16
Thread: Danville Flymaster 6/0 Black
Tag: Flat gold tinsel
Ribbing: Flat gold tinsel
Body: Natural hare’s ear dubbing, dark gray
Hackle: Brown

Jpbly....NAFFF Wet

BL hook size 14
chartreuse.crystal antron.
olive ostrich herl
grizzly hen feather.
olive thread 6/0

Dean-mt....PT&P Spider

#14 Daiichi (some are 1550 standard wet, some are 1560 standard nymph - the only difference is the 1560 are 1x long. I ran out of 1550 and the store no longer stocks them!)
body: pheasant tail
rib: copper ultra wire, brassie
thorax: dark brown hare's ear/antron blend
hackle: partridge

Bear 007....Soft Hackle Maggot

Hook; TMC 2457
Thread; Red Uni 8/0
Body; Red Danville Nylon Stretch under White Uni Flex
Thorax; Claret Seal
Hackle; Partridge

Kerry Pitt....Carrot Varient
[/URL][/IMG]
Hook: Tiemco 200R #16
Thread: Orange and since there are many shades of orange pick one a little on the dark side.
Rib: Small or xsmall red copper wire, you know the reddish wire not really red per say.
Thorax: Peacock herl
Hackle: Hen pheasant neck, when I tie it on and wrap it I wind it on until the tip of the feather is on the top or dorsal surface of the fly and the right length to incorporate it into the hackle so I do not have to trim it and it gives it a good buggy look. Make sense? Ask if I have confused me....er you.
Body is all the same orange thread. When you get the initial abdomen done with the ribbing, give it a shot of head cement, it adds a little to the attractiveness of the fly. I tend to try and tie the wire rib in, on the underside of the hook and wrap from about 1/3 of the way back from the eye to just down on the bend..

Greenwood....BWO Softhackle emerger
[/URL][/IMG]
Hook: 3906B #16
Thread: Olive
Tail: Med. dun hen hackle
Abdomen: Olive Pheasant Tail
Wing: Med. dun hen hackle
Thorax: SLF Olive/brown via dubbing loop
Hackle: Starling
Head: Thread

Larry....Little Green Caddis Variant

Hook: Dai-Riki 730 size 14 (any std wet fly 14-18)
Thread: Utc 70 Fl Green
Hackle: Brown Partridge
Thorax: Senyo's Laser Dub-Tan
Abdomen: Thread
Head: Brown Marker Pen

Last edited:

dean_mt

Reaction score
Larry, thanks for hosting this one and for putting in the extra work of copying all these recipes and photos into a single thread. It's great to have them all together like this.

When Joe and I do our "wet swap only" only day on the river it'll be easy to identify whats what! (This is a challenge, Joe. But it might have to wait till real summer time for me)

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks guys, it was a lot of fun and best of all I can't wait to try these bad boys out! I've never spent much time fishing wets, but this summer I plan to dedicate a lot more time to learning the art. Popperfly (Keven) loaned me three books on wets by the master Sylvester Nemes that I'm working through to learn all of this various presentation skills on wets.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Thanks guys, it was a lot of fun and best of all I can't wait to try these bad boys out! I've never spent much time fishing wets, but this summer I plan to dedicate a lot more time to learning the art. Popperfly (Keven) loaned me three books on wets by the master Sylvester Nemes that I'm working through to learn all of this various presentation skills on wets.
Same here, Larry. I read Syl's "The Soft Hackle Fly" and "The Tiny Soft Hackle Fly" over the winter and on my few days fishing this spring already put some the knowledge to good use. Caught a bunch of fish swinging a Syl's Midge to rising fish in a hatch and then had quite a few tugs fishing a hare's ear soft hackle after a March Brown hatch was over. It was a lot of fun in both cases. I will definitely be using soft hackles for searching flies this summer. The part I have to get better at is hooking up. I've gotten a lot of sharp tugs on the flies but missed the set, it's a little different than setting to a nymph or rise.

Pocono

Reaction score
I was in your neck of the woods last week; Boulder. Not sure how far that is from Pineland..............

Pocono

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I was in your neck of the woods last week; Boulder. Not sure how far that is from Pineland..............

Pocono
Allan: Way too far, but if I had known you were in the neighborhood, I would have made the effort to get down there. It is about 4.5 hours to Laramie, then another 2.5 to get into Denver. Were you on a business trip?

Pocono

Reaction score
Allan: Way too far, but if I had known you were in the neighborhood, I would have made the effort to get down there. It is about 4.5 hours to Laramie, then another 2.5 to get into Denver. Were you on a business trip?
Yes, I had several meeting with an Aurora-based Biotech company. In on Tuesday afternoon and out on Wednesday night. If I'd had more time, I would have PM'd you. I'm on the Board of this company, so I may get out to Boulder from time to time this year. I'll let you know the next time, but 7 hours is a real haul! Might be easier for me to fly to wherever you are (and where there's some good fishing!)

Sorry for the hijack; I'll PM you next time.

Allan

monkeyboy

Reaction score
wish I'd gotten in on this swap, soft hackles are my eggs and bacon. my Coleman stove morning coffee maker, my Italian Made Vasque hiking boots
my favorite is what I'm trying to say.
beautiful flies by the way. you guys know the genre.
thanks for the images.

buzz