The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap Pictures

Fly Swap Pictures View flies from past Fly Swaps.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wet Flies, Soft Hackles Swap, Spring 2013

Ok, here are the wet flies, soft hackles, flymphs and winged wets fly swap photos. I'm missing a few of the fly receipes, if you get the time please send them to me so I can update this thread. Thanks again for everyone that participated, for the extras and especially for those of you that donated your flies (they will be going to the Wyoming CFR program). Those gals are going to be thrilled when they see the quality of these flies! Now it's time to get this guys wet! Yahoo!

Sumojo....Olive Bumble
Click the image to open in full size.
Hook-14
Tail-barred wood duck
Thread-olive 0/8
Body/hackle-Olive possum
Grizzly Hackle dyed olive palmered back
Rib-Gold tinsel
Hackle-Grouse dyed olive

Stenacron.....Diving Caddis
Hook: Mustad 3906, size 14
Thread: Olive, UTC 70
Hackle: 2.5 wraps of gray Hungarian Partridge, stripped on one side
Egg Sac: 1 strand of DMC 6-strand embroidery floss, olive #3051
Body: dubbed loop of Hareline Dubbin, Hare's Ear HD4 (Leisenring style)
Rib: 3-4 wraps of pearl Flashabou (wiggle the rib as to not trap the dubbed guard hairs)

Theboz....Ostrich Spider
Hook: Dai-Riki #12
Thread: Uni thread, black 8/0
Body: Peacock or Ostrich Herl
Rib: Mirage Tinsel Opal/Small
Tag: Maroon Yarn
Hackle: Brown

La_jolla1....Teal and Silver
Thread: UNI 8/0 red
Tail: Golden pheasant tippet
body: mylar tinsel with a touch of superglue
rib: oval tinsel or small silver wire if not glued
Hackle: rooster dyed kingfisher blue
wing: real Teal

Noreaster....Red Tag Variant
Thread: Red
Hook: Size 16 Partridge Flash Point 15BNX Kilinkhammer Extreme.
Tag; Red Uni-Yarn
Rib: Fine silver wire
Body: Peacock herl
Hackle: Secondary Jungle Cock Hackle(above the nails). Dark soft Grizzly could be used too.
Head: Purple Peacock Herl. The head is optional. Can be tied without.

Flytire....Sanctuary
Hook: Standard wet fly hook, size #8 to #16
Thread: Danville Flymaster 6/0 Black
Tag: Flat gold tinsel
Ribbing: Flat gold tinsel
Body: Natural hare’s ear dubbing, dark gray
Hackle: Brown

Jpbly....NAFFF Wet
BL hook size 14
chartreuse.crystal antron.
olive ostrich herl
grizzly hen feather.
olive thread 6/0

Dean-mt....PT&P Spider
#14 Daiichi (some are 1550 standard wet, some are 1560 standard nymph - the only difference is the 1560 are 1x long. I ran out of 1550 and the store no longer stocks them!)
body: pheasant tail
rib: copper ultra wire, brassie
thorax: dark brown hare's ear/antron blend
hackle: partridge

Bear 007....Soft Hackle Maggot
Hook; TMC 2457
Thread; Red Uni 8/0
Body; Red Danville Nylon Stretch under White Uni Flex
Thorax; Claret Seal
Hackle; Partridge

Kerry Pitt....Carrot Varient
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Hook: Tiemco 200R #16
Thread: Orange and since there are many shades of orange pick one a little on the dark side.
Rib: Small or xsmall red copper wire, you know the reddish wire not really red per say.
Thorax: Peacock herl
Hackle: Hen pheasant neck, when I tie it on and wrap it I wind it on until the tip of the feather is on the top or dorsal surface of the fly and the right length to incorporate it into the hackle so I do not have to trim it and it gives it a good buggy look. Make sense? Ask if I have confused me....er you.
Body is all the same orange thread. When you get the initial abdomen done with the ribbing, give it a shot of head cement, it adds a little to the attractiveness of the fly. I tend to try and tie the wire rib in, on the underside of the hook and wrap from about 1/3 of the way back from the eye to just down on the bend..

Greenwood....BWO Softhackle emerger
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Hook: 3906B #16
Thread: Olive
Tail: Med. dun hen hackle
Abdomen: Olive Pheasant Tail
Wing: Med. dun hen hackle
Thorax: SLF Olive/brown via dubbing loop
Hackle: Starling
Head: Thread

Larry....Little Green Caddis Variant
Hook: Dai-Riki 730 size 14 (any std wet fly 14-18)
Thread: Utc 70 Fl Green
Hackle: Brown Partridge
Thorax: Senyo's Laser Dub-Tan
Abdomen: Thread
Head: Brown Marker Pen
Pocono, jpbfly, dean_mt and 4 others like this.

Last edited by mcnerney; 05-07-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Wet Flies, Soft Hackles Swap, Spring 2013

That's a nice batch of flies Larry!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great job Larry...we all have to thank you for organizing this swap
Old 05-05-2013, 05:43 PM

sumojo will become famous soon enough

Well Done everyone Thanks for Hosting swap Larry
Old 05-05-2013, 06:04 PM

bear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to behold

I can't wait to give those a try, thanks for running a great swap Larry.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:17 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Nice work Larry!

Killer line-up guys.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-05-2013, 11:02 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Larry, thanks for hosting this one and for putting in the extra work of copying all these recipes and photos into a single thread. It's great to have them all together like this.

When Joe and I do our "wet swap only" only day on the river it'll be easy to identify whats what! (This is a challenge, Joe. But it might have to wait till real summer time for me)
stenacron likes this.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, it was a lot of fun and best of all I can't wait to try these bad boys out! I've never spent much time fishing wets, but this summer I plan to dedicate a lot more time to learning the art. Popperfly (Keven) loaned me three books on wets by the master Sylvester Nemes that I'm working through to learn all of this various presentation skills on wets.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:54 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Thanks guys, it was a lot of fun and best of all I can't wait to try these bad boys out! I've never spent much time fishing wets, but this summer I plan to dedicate a lot more time to learning the art. Popperfly (Keven) loaned me three books on wets by the master Sylvester Nemes that I'm working through to learn all of this various presentation skills on wets.
Same here, Larry. I read Syl's "The Soft Hackle Fly" and "The Tiny Soft Hackle Fly" over the winter and on my few days fishing this spring already put some the knowledge to good use. Caught a bunch of fish swinging a Syl's Midge to rising fish in a hatch and then had quite a few tugs fishing a hare's ear soft hackle after a March Brown hatch was over. It was a lot of fun in both cases. I will definitely be using soft hackles for searching flies this summer. The part I have to get better at is hooking up. I've gotten a lot of sharp tugs on the flies but missed the set, it's a little different than setting to a nymph or rise.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:41 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Nice group of flies there, guys! Great swap, Larry!

Pocono