Here are the photos and recipes for the foam fly swap. This is a work in progress as I sent off the packages and forgot to take notes so will need help in identifying who tied what and need some additional recipes so please send those to me. Thanks!
1. Stealth Bomber by Jloncar
2. Foam Cricket by Bloomagoo
Hook: Dai-Riki #300, size 12
Thread: Black 70 Denier UTC
Body: Black 2 mm closed cell foam
Wing: Deer hair
Indicator: Pink egg yarn
3. Gartside Gurgler by Horsehead
Hook: Saltwater TMC 811S, Mustad 34007 or Daiichi 2456, size 2/0-4
Thread: 140-denier UTC or 3/0 Danville monocord, white
Tail: Bucktail and/or marabou plumes, white overlaid with 5-6 strands of pearl Krystal flash
Body: 1/8" white closed cell foam 1/2-5/8" wide
Rib: Saddle hackle, white or grizzly
Back: Body material pulled back over top
4. Foam and CDC Little Black Stonefly by Hokiehunter07
- Hook: size 14 light wire hopper hook / curved nymph
- Body: Black razor foam cut into 1/16" strips
- Tail: Black goose biots
- Legs: Black Medium rubber legs
- Wing: Dun CDC (or poly yarn or equivalent material)
- Thread: Black 6/0
- Wrap thread from behind eye to hook bend.
- Tie in biots so they face away from each other.
- Tie in foam strip just in front of biots while carefully adding tension to the foam (tension make the foam thinner).
- Wrap foam up body slowly releasing tension on the foam to make nice taper
- Quit wrapping foam at about 1/2way - 2/3rds point on the hook.
- Cut a 1/2 lg piece of foam from your strip.
- Tie it on top of the hook from the end of the body to just behind the eye
- Leave tag of 1/2 piece hanging over eye
- Cut 1" lg piece of foam from the foam strip.
- Tie one inch piece of foam in from behind the eye back to the start of the body
- Wrap the 1" strip 2 wraps towards the eye and then back to the tie in spot.
- Cut excess foam from 1" strip.
- Tie in approximately 4-5 small CDC feathers (or poly yarn)on top of tie in point.
- Trim to about 1 body length
- Tie in rubber legs on either side at the tie in point.
- Fold the 1/2" strip extending past the eye back over the thorax and tie off at tie in point
- Trim 1/2" strip about 1/8-1/4" up from the tie off point.
- Whip finish or half hitch at tie in point.
Even though this fly is made of foam and CDC it will sink without floatant and drying. Replace CDC with a foam cylinder for added visibility. Fish on a dead drift or skirting with a high stick in calmer water.
I've had great luck with brookies with this fly. It's a lot easier to tie than it sounds and I knocked all these in a little over an hour. Look for the lightest wire hook you can find for best results.
5. Bryan's Gurgler Beetle by Theboz
Hook: Size 4 Aberdeen
Thread: 3/0 Burnt orange
Body: Fine Chenille in brown
Tail: Black squirrel tail
Back: Black closed cell foam
Indicator: Yellow 1/8" closed cell foam
6. Brown Gurgler by Tsubeta04
7. Steelhead Beetle by Nhflyfish
Hook: Daiichi 1720 Sizes 10, 8, 6, & 4
Thread: Brown or Olive
Underbody: Weed trimmer cord extend past eye of hook; I used 20# mono
Tag: Burnt orange dubbing; use different colors also
Body: Medium brown dubbing
Wing: Stiff elk or moose hair; also use deer hair
Back: Black foam
Head: Trimmed wing hair and foam
1. Start thread on hook. Tie in the mono extension to extend beyond hookeye.
2. Take thread to hook bend and tie in foam body
3. Dub in your color choice for tag end
4. Dub in body to about a hook eye length behind eye
5. Tie in hair wing so front extends out to end of mono extension. Tips should extend back to end of hook
6. Separate hair wing and bring foam up and over towards hook eye
7. Secure foam with thread wraps behind hook eye - whip finish
8. Trim foam to desired head shape
This fly works great when using a Riffle Hitch: Riffle Hitch | How to tie a Riffle Hitch animated and illustrated
8. Migraine Hopper by Rockthief
Daiichi 1280 #8 (I want to tie 10 and 12 also)
Body: Orange foam
Thread: Yellow flat thread
Wing: Yellow doll hair
9. Black Foam Popper "The Flops and Pops" by Eman
Hook: Size 12 Aberdeen
Thread: 6/0 clear
Tail: Silver laced Wyandotte feathers
Body: Black closed cell foam
10. Park Hopper by Mudbug
11. Foam Spider bug by Gzarboni
Hook: Mustad size 12
Thread: 8/0 red Uni
Body: 2 mil black craft foam
Underbody: Snow shoe hares foot
Top: red 1.5 mil craft foam