The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 08:47 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Nymph Swap Fall 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Mark,

I'll tie up some Red Fox Squirrel Nymphs; probably in a #14 (maybe #16). It's about time I tackled a Dave Whitlock pattern; now if I can just get his dubbing recipies down right.
Man, I just found out about this pattern yesterday, tied a couple up wtih what I had using my Dave Whitlocks dubbing blends #1 SLF box, they have red fox abdomen and red fox thorax blends already blended up. I use these for all my dubbing needs these days.

The tough part for me was getting the legs in the proper place. I am gonna try to get out after work today, snow coming tomorrow, and see if the fish in the river are receptive.

Dave
Old 10-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Troutbum17 you're in- let us know what you're tying

Dave - That Red Fox Squirrel Nymph is a great pattern- good luck with it.

mark
Old 10-09-2009, 03:16 PM

troutbum17 is on a distinguished road

im going to try tying the batman nymph in size 12 or 14.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:00 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
Man, I just found out about this pattern yesterday, tied a couple up wtih what I had using my Dave Whitlocks dubbing blends #1 SLF box, they have red fox abdomen and red fox thorax blends already blended up. I use these for all my dubbing needs these days.

The tough part for me was getting the legs in the proper place. I am gonna try to get out after work today, snow coming tomorrow, and see if the fish in the river are receptive.

Dave
Dave,

I'm using the same dubbing blend for my ties. Getting Whitlock's dubbing mixtures right; so I've been told, can be challenging. So, I've purchased the same SLF #1 dubbing box that you have. I'll probably start tying them up next week or the week after. I'm going to tie the original pattern / I'll post some pics along the way.

Pocono
Old 10-10-2009, 02:51 PM

hyrgrnd is on a distinguished road

Howdy Mark,

Do you still think you might divide the swap into two groups? I've tied about 6 of the pheasant tail nymphs with degrees of success! There is quite the range unfortunately, but as you said they tend to get a bit more like the photo of the pattern all the time. I am thinking about another nymph called the Barr's Net Builder for a future swap.

You are sure doing a lot of work on this web site, and I for one, really appreciate it.

Thanks

Steve
Old 10-17-2009, 07:35 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Could you PM me your mailing address? I will get the flies out to you this week.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:37 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post

Dave
Here a test fly. I started working on the Red Fox Squirrel Nymph pattern today; right after I finished up the Going Tiny Swap files. This is a #14, weighted with 10 wraps of .015 lead.

Click the image to open in full size.

It still needs a lot of work, but it's a fun-to-tie pattern.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:48 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Great looking fly! Dave Whitlock did one with a squirrel collar if I remember correctly. I have used them with great success. Good pattern!
Old 10-18-2009, 12:30 PM

Thanks. I'm toying really hard with using a partridge hackle; I think that the mottling with a Gray partridge feather would go really well with the black and white squirrel tail; but I want to keep it pretty much the way that DW ties it, and he calls for a ginger hen hackle.

Still plenty of time for some experimentation.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice nymph Allan,the orange head is a plus I think,I haven't started tying the chub specials for the swap...but still use them and they work
proof by pics