The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Swap (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-swap/)
-   -   Fast Water Dry Swap, Fall 2009 (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-swap/11263-fast-water-dry-swap-fall-2009-a.html)

peregrines 09-17-2009 04:21 PM

Fast Water Dry Swap, Fall 2009

Fast Water Dry Fly Swap Due Date December 1, 2009

For those that responded to the swap survey and expressed an interest in tying stuff for fast water, I’ve included your names here, but please confirm you’re still interested, and let me know what you’re tying if/when you know it. Anything goes, Hare, Hair, Foam, or hackle--- as long as it floats like a cork in a roaring river

1. Brandy- Rusty Spinner - RECEIVED
2. BlueBird- Black Booby- RECEIVED
3. Kelkay- Rapid River Caddis- RECEIVED
4. jbbfly- Nico's Favorite RECEIVED
5. Jimmie- X Caddis- RECEIVED
6. Peregrines- Ausable Wulff- RECEIVED
7. Webrx- Caddis - RECEIVED

For other folks that didn’t participate in the survey, but want to get in on the swap, respond to the thread and we’ll see if we can add you too—filling up empty slots, or replacing folks with a reserved space that elect to drop out.
I’m thinking a due date of December 1, 2009 (approx 2 ½ months) should be good- let me know if that works for you too.

I’ll send everyone that confirms/responds that they’re in my address via PM.

Mark

jpbfly 09-18-2009 05:03 AM

Re: Fast Water Dry Swap, Fall 2009

I'm in Mark:dry hackle fly "Nico's favorite"

webrx 09-18-2009 07:41 AM

Wow, all this tying, how am I gonna find time to fish :)

Just kidding,

I'm in this one too, I think I will tie up some elk hair caddis (is it caddisis or caddisi) in any case I can tie 12 of em

I have been thinking about tying something that uses foam since a nice bow hit my indicator the other day, but I don't have any foam to tie with yet, and haven't really looked for a pattern yet. If I come up with something in the next day or so I might change, but for now, I know the EHC works on the truckee, and that is my standard dry for just down stream of the riffles.....

OK, for now, put me down for caddis....

Boy that was a tough decision :)

Dave

BlueBird 09-18-2009 08:45 AM

please count me in.. I have waiting for fly swaps... ;)

kelkay 09-18-2009 09:23 AM

Would a foam beetle be okay for this swap? If so I may be interested. It will float, but it would best be fished near the edge.

peregrines 09-18-2009 09:48 AM

Great- Kelkay, the foam beetle would be great.

Blebird, Jbbfly, Webrx, you're all in too.

Thanks for jumping in.

mark

Jimmie 09-18-2009 05:49 PM

Thanks again for doing this Mark.
Please put me down for an "X Caddis".

peregrines 09-18-2009 07:26 PM

Excellent Jimmie, good to have you in this one.

webrx 09-30-2009 08:58 AM

Wow,
I can't wait for this one to be done, I was fishing last weekend, and saw several large trout rising just below the riffles, but I for the life of me could not figure out how to get one to take a fly. I tried copper johns, GRHEs, EHCs, a black bugger, nothing worked.

I could not see anything on the water though there were some extremely tiny black gnats just above the surface - It did not look like the trout were taking these. I did not have a sample net with me as it was just a quick trip in the evening. I have to guess they were taking something just below the surface. This time of year october caddis hatch, and maybe this is the meal they were eating just below the surface just before dusk. I am gonna try again this weekend.

Any suggestions for fastwater trout on a freestone river just below the riffles in fast water would be appreciated.

mcnerney 09-30-2009 10:17 AM

Mark

I'd like to join in on this fly swap. Let me think about what I want to tie.

Larry