The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 04:58 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Tiny Swap

Looks like a nice fly Futuramille. The match between the tail material and the body dubbing on GRHE's gives them a natural insect look (can you post a larger picture - use Photobucket and import or something like that?).

Here's the current info that I have on the patterns:

Futuramille - BH GRHE Nymph, #24
Joni - Black Snow Fly
Bamboo10 - BWI para extended body, #20
Jimmie - Zebra Midge emerger, #20
Pocono - Griffith Gnat variant, #22
BlueDun - TBD
FISHN50 - TBD
tob1 - Paraloop Midge, #24/-
Greenwood - BWO wet, #20
Kerry Pitt - TBD
BlueBird - TBD
Get_Jiggy - Grizzly para Midge, #26

Just a reminder to the rest of you; let me know what pattern you'll be tying up a soon as you make your decision.

I'll be away on business from tonight through next Monday, but will be able to post from my BB or Internet Kiosks if something needs attention.

Pocono

Last edited by Joni; 10-09-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:57 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

I'm not blessed with Tob1's camera...bigger maybe but its a bigger bad picture...

the tail is a bit long on this one and I could have left an extra barb on the case to make it wider. I'm also thinking it needs a change of color for under the case...a tad darker (more brown).

Since I'm new at this, any suggestions from those going to tie one for me and get one of these is always welcome. I post all my pics in hopes of getting "do/try/make" this kind of feedback. I'm not a proud soul...just a life long fisherman trying something different.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

For me...#30 Black Snow Fly

When are these due?

Last edited by Joni; 10-09-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:39 PM

BlueBird will become famous soon enoughBlueBird will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlueBird Send a message via MSN to BlueBird

I am doing Size #20...

WD-40 Midge Fly
Old 10-10-2009, 06:50 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I'm back from my trip, but after stepping off the plane, a 9 hour drive to Maine last night and 4 hours sleep, I'm not quite 100% yet. So, if this post is a little ragged, there's a reason for it.

Here's another update on the patterns for all of you.

Joni - Black Snow Fly, #30
BlueDun - TBD
FISHN50 - TBD
tob1 - Paraloop Midge, #24/-
Greenwood - BWO wet, #20
Kerry Pitt - TBD
BlueBird - WD-40 Midge, #20

Joni - due date is December 15th. How did you inset your pattern into my previous post?

Tob1 - if you want to change your pattern to something smaller - like that #32 you posted to the "going Tiny" thread, then that's fine with me. Changes are always acceptable, as long as we can get the final choice flies in by the due date. And I think that going smaller on this "going tiny" swap is, directionally, a good thing to do.

Futuramille - Tob1 put me onto the camera that I'm using now. It's a 2001 Nikon 4500 Coolpix; purchased off ebay for a very reasonable price. The key is to get a camera that has a good macro function; which not all digital cameras have, but which a lot of the original Coolpix cameras do have. You want to be able to get in really close to the subject; 1 cm (about 1/2 inch) is, I think, optimal. It really helps in the self-critiquing of your own ties, because my eyes are not good enough to give me feedback on the details of what I try on the smaller hooks; say #20 and smaller. But, the pics from that camera are. I also learned from Tob1 that in order to do web publishing of your pics, you really only need 0.8 megapixels. That's right - only 0.8! So, going to a higher megapixel camera (which was one of the directions that I was headed in), isn't really helpful for web photos. I'd have to go with a really good DSLR camera to get a better macro function than I now have on that old Nikon and, frankly, I'm not going to spend that kind of money to photo the flies that I tie up.

I think that your own suggestions on your pattern are good. I'd try them, see how you like them; fish them, if possible, and proceed from there. That tie looks pretty good as is to me right now.

BlueBird - thanks for posting your pattern; pretty fly. WD-40's are always effective patterns up here in the Poconos.

I just ordered some #28, #30 and #32 hooks (for me that's a real flyer!). I thought that I could try some simple midge patterns on them to see how they come out (maybe a Thread Midge, Disco Midge or Zebra Midge (if I can find a bead that's small enough - maybe a couple of wraps of flash?)). They won't be pretty - I can guarantee that! But they'll start me down a road that I haven't been on yet, and that always fun.

Pocono
Old 10-10-2009, 04:38 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

Finished my Swap files today in size26.

Trygve
Old 10-11-2009, 06:51 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Jassids, not sure of the size yet, going for size 22 or 24.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:09 PM

Thanks Kerry.

One more update for you all:

Joni - Black Snow Fly, #30
BlueDun - TBD
FISHN50 - TBD
tob1 - Paraloop Midge, #26
Greenwood - BWO wet, #20
Kerry Pitt - Jassid, #22/24
BlueBird - WD-40 Midge, #20

So that leaves Bluedun and FISHN50. Let me know when you decide on your patterns. Thanks.

Since Tob1 is finished tying up his flies; here's the send address again:

Allan Jarvis
PO Box 747
Pocono Pines, PA 18350
USA

Let me know how you're all coming along with your flies. With Haloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas preparations/shopping, this late Fall period is going to go by very quickly.

Pocono
Old 10-12-2009, 11:04 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

I made the changes I mentioned and got 7 done in a sitting two days ago...I'll finish the rest some night this week and mail them out to you.

JJ
Old 10-13-2009, 07:51 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Just finished a few re-do's so ready to mail. I've got your address so I'll get them in the mail on the 27th (after upcoming trip).