The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Swap (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-swap/)
-   -   Going Tiny Swap (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-swap/11326-going-tiny-swap.html)

Pocono 09-26-2009 05:03 AM

Going Tiny Swap

About 3 weeks ago, Futuramille posted a thread entitled "going tiny" and got a lot of replies from members who tie flies in #20 or smaller. Some really nice pics were also posted to the thread.

So, we started talking about a small fly swap; the "Going Tiny" Swap and one thing lead to another and here we are with a new swap; one for those who either enjoy tying smaller flies or are up for the challenge. We all know that both early in the season as well as throughout the year, smaller patterns can be killer flies on the water, so there's a great rationale for adding 12 of these flies to your fly box; for those days when the big mayflies, caddis and stones just aren't coming off the water. Anyone fished a midge pattern lately? I know that I have.

So far, in this swap we have:

Futuramille
Joni
Bamboo10
Jimmie
Pocono

We'll put a limit on this swap of 12 tyers. I'm thinking about a due date after the Thanksgiving Day Holiday in the US (since Peregrines has 2 or more swaps that have due dates of November 20th); probably Dec. 15; just in time for eveyone to get their flies for Christmas.

Sign-up for this swap if you're interested in tying some small flies and let me know what pattern you'll be tying up.

Time to swing over those magnifying lenses and check to make sure that your eyeglasses perscriptions are up to date! ;)

Pocono

BlueDun 09-26-2009 08:21 AM

Re: Going Tiny Swap

I just viewed the "Going Tiny" thread and thought this swap looks like fun. Also, the due date looks manageable - I was hesitant to participate in the earlier swaps b/c we will still have decent fishing in this area for smallies for another few weeks or so. I might do a midge, but after viewing the previous thread, I want to try several things before deciding what I will tie. Can you list me for TBD for now?

FISHN50 09-26-2009 10:43 AM

HMMMMMM Great minds think alike. I 'm tying up a bunch of Blue Wings for Maine so Count me in.......

BlueDun 09-27-2009 11:39 AM

Before I decide what to tie, I have a quick question about adding weight to tiny flies. I will start a new thread in the Tying forum so I don't side track this thread, but I am still seeking your advice. Thanks!

Pocono 09-27-2009 02:28 PM

Here's where I think I'm headed on this swap. Griffith's Gnat variant; over-hackled / red tail; #22. I just like red on flies. :rolleyes:

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...ctice-2003.jpg

BlueDun, I've never added weight to a fly smaller than a #18. I'm sure it can be done, but it will also add bulk to the body of the fly. I'd probaby go with the smallest diameter lead (or non-lead substitute) that I could find. Others on this forum will know much better then I.

Pocono 09-27-2009 06:45 PM

Here's an update for everyone. We have 8 tyers so far; 4 more and we'll be at our limit of 12. Even though we're not closed at this point, I'll start listing the tyers and the patterns.

Futuramille - TBD
Joni - TBD
Bamboo10 - TBD
Jimmie - TBD
Pocono - Griffith Gnat variant, #22
BlueDun - TBD
FISHN50 - TBD
tob1 - TBD

Let me know when you've decided what you'll tie up for this swap.

Thanks,

Pocono

Greenwood 09-28-2009 01:21 AM

Got a note from Pocono on this one; count me in. I think I'll tie up a size 20 BWO wet fly..........

Kerry Pitt 09-28-2009 01:41 AM

Thanks for the invitation. Sure I will jump in, though twelve is my maximum number of tyers in any swap I join or run.
Not sure I will do a Coachman yet or not, please give me a day to decide. I am going to be off recovering from surgery here for a week pretty soon so I can tie then.:smile:

Pocono 09-28-2009 04:29 AM

Ok, two more tyers have joined, so here's another update for you all:

Futuramille - TBD
Joni - TBD
Bamboo10 - TBD
Jimmie - TBD
Pocono - Griffith Gnat variant, #22
BlueDun - TBD
FISHN50 - TBD
tob1 - TBD
Greenwood - BWO wet, #20
Kerry Pitt - TBD

Kerry, 12 is the maximum # of tyers for this swap. Two more to go and we'll be full.

Pocono

BlueBird 09-28-2009 08:16 AM

wow... this is cool... please sign me in... ;)