The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pike/warmwater streamer swap 2010?!

Gar-

You can help me out since i haven't tied for pike and musky before--- but I tie a lot of stuff for saltwater so i should have enough stuff to play with---what size hook and overall length would you be looking for?

All- I'll send my address to everyone after we see who we've got in the swap--- and we can always double up on flies if we stay at 6 or so.

mark
Old 12-01-2009, 08:18 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Hey Peregrines.....

I am tying 1/0 and 2/0 Mcnallys for a cousin to use on glazier lake in Northern maine on Muskies. But he has tossed 4/0 for the 4foot beasts.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 12-01-2009, 10:20 AM

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks- I have up to 5/0 at least, and can get them to around 12" or so. I'll try some kind of variation of something i'd use to imitate herring for striped bass and put it in colors for pike/musky.

mark
Old 12-01-2009, 04:11 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

ill tie up a bunny leech with a white tail and read front. how long should the fly be? 7-8inches??
Old 12-01-2009, 11:49 PM

Diver Dan's in too with a Reynolds Pike fly, so we're up to 7 folks so far.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:47 AM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking either a big Flash Fry or Barr's Bouface...

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com
Old 12-02-2009, 08:57 AM

great-- with fish gypsy we're up to 8 so far.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just confirming I'm in so I get the e-mail updates. These are my 'bullet proof' flies.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:18 AM

Gar will become famous soon enough

Hey guys- My comment on wanting big stuff was just for fun, but it did raise interesting comments. I tie my ten inch flies on 2/0 octopus or bait hooks. These are large gap hooks and have the same distance from the shank to barb as many normal 5/0 flies. I prefer short shank flies, because they reduce the fowling of material on the hook. I also have noticed that anything larger than 2/0 does not get me more hook ups, but I do seem to get allot more snags. I fish in rocky areas allot (and I hate weed guards.)
Do not assume hook size means larger fly. I have purchased saltwater flies before tied on 5/0 hooks and they showed up as 5 inch baby flies and not worth a big pikes time to move on. I am definitely a large bait guy. I throw big stuff for pike and bass. When we go out in a group, I catch less fish but tend to run a few pounds bigger on fish.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:28 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

I agree Gar.....

The 1/0 and 2/0 seem to get through the "mess" better and flies can be bulked up and lengthened without loosing too much action or hookups.

Like the Octopus hook idea.......hmmmmmm guess I'm back to the bench.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"