The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 12:06 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pike/warmwater streamer swap 2010?!

It's two weeks past the deadline, have we heard from our AWOL tiers?
Old 03-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I just got the flies in the mail today. It was like Christmas! Great flies guys. What hook is that on your flies Gar? I like the barbless thing and seriously sharp. I'll bet you don't miss many with those. Peregrines, where did you get hackle like that? Awsome. Great flies.
Dan
Old 03-09-2010, 09:17 AM

Gar will become famous soon enough

I only use Gamakatsu hooks. I have gone exclusively to 2/0 barbless recently. Had a buddy take a hook just below his eye last fall. If it had been barbless we would have pulled it out and continued to fish. As it was he went to the emergency room and they had to cut it out. OUCH!
Old 03-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Dan those hackles are Whiting "Flatwing" saddles-- a new product similar to their "Eurohackle" saddles. These are a new product for Whiting and they run 20 bucks for Bronze (feathers 10-13" long) and 35 for Silver (longer feathers). I find that the bronze saddles are fine for most of the patterns i tie.

You can find them in a bunch of shops- including here (I use them a lot and they offer free shipping): Whiting Flat Wing Saddles - Welcome to Whitewaterflies.com : The place for all of your fly tying and fly fishing needs

These type of hackles are used a lot here in the Northeast for tying flatwing streamers for stripers and tuna. The advantage is that you can imitate big bait like 16" herring and menhaden as well as smaller stuff like 3" sandeels.

I thought a flatwing might be a good one for musky since you can fish them slowly or even just swing them in current and they tend to suspend in the water column especailly with hollow tied bucktail. They also have a ton of action and can imitate a big meal.

There are a couple specific construction techniques to building flatwings, and here is a good step by step from Kenny Abrames' excellent site Striper Moon
East Coast Ghost

I'll be tying up a bunch of these style flies over the next week or so to get ready for striper season here and I'll post some pics.

mark
Old 03-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Banned

Thanks guys.