The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Fly Swap

Fly Swap Trade flies with other tyers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favorite Spring Fly Swap

Flytier- Luckily the fish don't seem to be too picky about proportions-- otherwise I'd be in deep trouble.

And if you ever want to get feedback on your flies feel free to post pics in the general fly tying forum... Folks here are great about offering constructive feedback and tips on materials and techniques.

Looking forward to your flies.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:57 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

Hey Mark-Wonder if ears are burning-got more flies back and they're fabulous. There again the swap was organised by one of the best fly tiers in the world!
Old 04-09-2011, 01:40 PM

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Fly tier-- glad to hear the flies are rolling in from your other swaps.

And flies are starting to roll in for this one too--- Jimmie sent in a great set of March Brown dries.

The due date for this is May 1 ---- who else wants to jump in?
Old 04-09-2011, 02:30 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Sounds fun, what do I need to do?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:28 AM

russellb- you just did it--- I'll send you a PM with my address in the meantime here's a link to the sticky that explains how we do fly swaps:

Fly Swap Guidelines

Glad to have you in this one!
Old 04-12-2011, 03:56 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

when does the quill gordan's come off out west and up north. They are coming off big time right now here and are one of my favorite spring patterns. basically announce the beginning of the eastern dry fly fishing season.

Dry - #16
Click the image to open in full size.

My personal favorite though - Emerger #16
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:25 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I think I will be tying up a Martis Midge - basically a blood midge emerger in size 16. WE killed em on the lake with these last year, and the hatch is just starting now per the hatch chart for the lake, only problem is we can't get the boat in the water due to all the snow on the roads. Might have to drive up, hike in a bit and launch the float tubes and test drive these before mailing though - sounds like a good excuse to go fishing.

Here is a link if your interested in reading about the midge pattern and seeing some local hatch charts and how to tie a few pretty effective patterns.

d

Last edited by webrx; 04-12-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:31 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

After further reading, seems the quill Gordan does not hatch in the midwest/West. I'll keep looking for a fly to tie for this. I do have a darkish stylized "hairs ear" nymph that works during these Quill Gordan hatches, that may work for other hatches out west...I'll think about it. Don't put me down for anything specific yet.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:20 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

here is a link to the northern sierra hatch chart - 30 years of watching went into this one per the site.

d
Old 04-16-2011, 10:00 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

I'm in!!!

Will be either a BWO or Green Drake......too early for brown or yellow stones here in Maine!

Wow.....my first swap in about a year!

Early I like a wet/nymph.......but as things heat up i like to go Dry/emerger. Guess we'll have to see what pops off the jaws in the end!

Just let me know if I'm in!

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"