The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Swap (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-swap/)
-   -   PMD or Sulphur Dry Fly or Emerger Swap (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-swap/117446-pmd-sulphur-dry-fly-emerger-swap.html)

peregrines 03-22-2011 12:13 PM

PMD or Sulphur Dry Fly or Emerger Swap

This swap will be a little different -- it's a match the hatch swap.

Pale Morning Duns (PMDs) in the West and Sulphurs in the East and Midwest are major hatches of light colored mayflies. These hatches can be some of the most exciting and frustrating of the year. The hatches are common on most waters within their range, often very heavy and dependable, and usually last several months.

In the West Pale Morning Duns range in size from 14-18s with smoky gray wings and bodies ranging in color from pale yellow to tan for the duns. You can read more about PMDs here: Pale Morning Dun | Ephemerella | Fly Fishing | Westfly

In the East "Sulphurs" often refer to several different light bodied mayflies, with pale gray wings also size 14-18 You can read more about Sulphurs here: Simply Sulphers | The Easts' Best Spring Mayfly Hatch!

Emergers, Duns and Spinners are all very important stages of both the PMD and Sulphur hatches. This swap will be your choice of your favorite dry fly (either dun or spinner) or emerger for either the PMD (if you're out West) or Sulphur (for Eastern and Midwestern folks). Because both the PMD and Sulphurs are similar sized light mayflies, they should fish well in each other's territory.

As always tyers of all abilities, including beginners are welcome. And of course tyers outside North America are always welcome, so feel free to jump in here too.

Due Date May 30, 2011
1. Futuramille
2. Aroostockbasser
3. khl
4. peregrines

aroostookbasser 04-26-2011 10:34 AM

Re: PMD or Sulphur Dry Fly or Emerger Swap

Should have gotten more interest than this!

If this happens........I'm in! But push it over until May 30th.

peregrines 04-28-2011 01:43 PM

Brent I thought we'd get more interest too-- maybe pushing it back to May 30 will help--- I'll do that.

Anyone else out there that wants in?

mcnerney 04-28-2011 03:49 PM

Mark: I'm interested, but I'm already in the hopper swap that is due June 1.

Larry

aroostookbasser 04-29-2011 11:41 AM

I'm in...with a Sulphur Dry!!

aroostookbasser 05-04-2011 11:30 AM

Holy ****!! What no dryfly tyers?
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

khl 05-04-2011 02:21 PM

I'm interested but could someone suggest a pattern?

My in stock materials is relatively limited for dry flies though: black or grizzly hackle, mallard flank, and peacock herl for feather. My dubbing supplies are woeful - I've been meaning to order some, but haven't yet - so I have cream (dog) and brownish (cat).

Hooks and thread I'm good on.

If someone could come up with a pattern, I'd be happy to participate :D

Kai.

aroostookbasser 05-05-2011 07:13 AM

Hey .......Have I got the pattern for you!

Check out this video:
Tying the Pale Morning Dun (PMD) Sparkle Dun | The Caddis Fly: Oregon Fly Fishing Blog

Use the dog! ...and use grizzly and mallard flank for wing. Should look sweet!

khl 05-05-2011 10:07 AM

Thanks AB! I'm in then. I'll start today in anticipation of Mark saying it's ok :D.

Kai.

peregrines 05-05-2011 12:59 PM

Great, I'm in too, so that makes 4 so far with Brent (Aroostockbasser) and Kai (khl) and Jonathan (Futuramille).

Everyone else, feel free to jump in....